Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Could military moving affect my credit?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Could military moving affect my credit?

Hello all, I am a newbie at this and do not understand the lingo so if anyone could help me that would be great. I joined the US military and shipped overseas for the next 3 1/2 years before coming back stateside. During my last 3 months of being there (while out-processing the base) I recieved a letter saying that we have turned you into the Credit Bureau. I GUESS I had a cell phone that I did not cancel (even though I did call them and cancel) 'bu anyways'. I called and told them I never recieved a letter of any sort, and they stated that, "they were sorry, but there is nothing they could do" and that I "need to take care of that bill and wait 7 years." I had 3 negative reportings on my credit while overseas that I never knew about. What can I do to try to get those taken off. I have already disputed them "online" with no avail. Can I write a letter? What do you fine people recommend, and thank you so much.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
sobreezy
Contributor

Re: Could military moving affect my credit?

Since you already started the first step the next is to write a letter.  But you have to decide what type of letter you will be writing.  Will the letter be a PFD - pay for deletion; investigation (forcing them to provide documents that debt belongs to you); removal.  One great website that I went to that has free sample letters that you can tailor to you and your situation is: unfortunately I'm not sure if I can post it hear but if you wanted to I could send it to your AKO.  The site is pretty awesome.  Also there is a credit repair program that gets rid of a lot of stuff on your CR in about 37 days but that one cost about 25 bucks which is well worth it if you don't want to do it yourself. But I would definitely go to the first website that is listed.  Let me know if you want it and Good luck.

MyFako scores EX 594, EQ 553, TU 589 as of 10 Jun 11
myFICO EQ 614 TU 599 EX 644
Goal 700 by March 30 2015
Message 2 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello all, I am a newbie at this and do not understand the lingo so if anyone could help me that would be great. I joined the US military and shipped overseas for the next 3 1/2 years before coming back stateside. During my last 3 months of being there (while out-processing the base) I recieved a letter saying that we have turned you into the Credit Bureau. I GUESS I had a cell phone that I did not cancel (even though I did call them and cancel) 'bu anyways'. I called and told them I never recieved a letter of any sort, and they stated that, "they were sorry, but there is nothing they could do" and that I "need to take care of that bill and wait 7 years." I had 3 negative reportings on my credit while overseas that I never knew about. What can I do to try to get those taken off. I have already disputed them "online" with no avail. Can I write a letter? What do you fine people recommend, and thank you so much.

Welcome to the forums!

I'd suggest reading the following:

Common Abbreviations

Credit Scoring 101 - great for knowing what is in your credit score and to see how your score is impacted.

What Steps Do I Take - great for learning the repair process.

and Example letters - PFDs, GWs, DVs, etc.

If these are CAs reporting, the first step is to send a DV letter. If they verify and you agree, then send a PFD. If you don't agree, then you can always contact the OC and ask for the last couple of bills to reconcile, complain to the BBB, contact the FTC if the CA is doing something wrong, contact your state's consumer agency, etc.

If it is just the OC reporting and reporting a balance, and you agree, then send a PFD. Otherwise ask for copies of the bill and go from there.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

I am sorry it has taken me so long to get back to you. But I would greatly appreciate you to send me that website and the website of the company for the $25. Both would be greatly appreciated and I look forward to doing it. Thank you so much.

Message 4 of 6
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

OP, don't sign onto any program that offers to do the work for you. Most of these are scams and what they'll do is initiate disputes for your accounts. Disputing will only cause problems and can easily damage your credit. There are sample letters listed above and they are free!

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

From the military aspect, unfortunately you would be protected only if they had decided to sue you while you were on active duty.  The SSCRA doesn't really protect you from credit bureau reporting.  Still, I think you would be a prime candidate for a "goodwill" adjustment.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.