Credit Card Center Advertiser Disclosure

0 Kudos

Could use some help, gym collection..

Back in November my local chain gym, privately owned, told me I owed them for three non consecutive months. This was untrue, I owed them for the current month, November, only which I offered to pay on the spot. Long story short, they barred me from lifting there until I paid them $245.00- so I emailed the owner/ collection dept as I was told to by front desk, and asked to have my membership frozen until we resolved the payment dispute- this was my second attempt as I had called and left a message once before. Both were ignored. They threatened me with collection activities, which they did, I sent a DV letter to the " attorney " and never heard from them again. I walked in today and found they have been trying to charge me since November and now say I owe $400.00.. They are pretty well known for this kind of thing and have a revolving cast of clowns working the front desk due to people quitting or getting fired. At the time this started I was very aware of paying things off as I was unemployed and had to account for every dollar. My membership was month to month so I paid with cash. I have no trail to show payment and apparently either do they. I have been a member there for 12 yrs so I obviously have been paying my dues. Can anyone suggest a letter or course of action on this.. The BBB was my next thought..
Highlighted
Contributor
0 Kudos

Re: Could use some help, gym collection..

anytime fitness did the EXACT same thing to me.  I had no contract and was on a month to month membership.  once I got my Chip debit card i got a new exp date and i never updated their billing.  I was also a member of a bigger gym.  I only used anytime fitness when i fealt like working out late late night as its 24 hours.  Anyways, fast forward 2 years and i get a message saying I owe 450.00...... How can i owe over 400 to a gym that was a month to month basis and why on earth would they keep trying to charge a card that they saw had an exd date that that was 2 years behind....   The owner is a nice lady but that  billing practice is SOOOOOOO SHADY!!!!.  I am not having to pay off the collection of 450 with the gym and they recalled their collection company they use and we signed a new agreement of payment so they dont put me back in collections.  

IMO, if youre like me and need the money but try and live by the " money comes and goes " mentality; pay the bill and save your credit.  Work with the gym and get and agreement in wiritting for paying the balance in payments so they cannot / wont put you back in collections.

Forums posts are not provided or commissioned by FICO. Forums posts have not been reviewed, approved or otherwise endorsed by FICO. It is not FICO's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.

† Advertiser Disclosure: The listings that appear on myFICO are from companies from which myFICO receives compensation, which may impact how and where products appear on myFICO (including, for example, the order in which they appear). myFICO does not review or include all companies or all available products.
‡ Credit cards for FICO Score ranges: The score ranges are guidelines based on internal myFICO analysis of actual applicant approvals, and having a FICO Score in a particular range does not guarantee you will be approved for credit cards recommended in that range. These ranges were not provided by any card issuer.

* For complete information, see the terms and conditions on the credit card issuer’s website. Once you click apply for this card, you will be directed to the issuer’s website where you may review the terms and conditions of the card before applying. While myFICO always strives to present the most accurate information, we show a summary to help you choose a product, not the full legal terms - and before applying you should understand the full terms of products as stated by the issuer itself.

Copyright ©2001-2015 Fair Isaac Corporation. All rights reserved.   | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Sitemap

IMPORTANT INFORMATION: All FICO® Score products made available on myFICO.com include a FICO® Score 8, along with additional FICO® Score versions. Your lender or insurer may use a different FICO® Score than the versions you receive from myFICO, or another type of credit score altogether. Learn more

FICO, myFICO, Score Watch, The score lenders use, and The Score That Matters are trademarks or registered trademarks of Fair Isaac Corporation. Equifax Credit Report is a trademark of Equifax, Inc. and its affiliated companies. Many factors affect your FICO Score and the interest rates you may receive. Fair Isaac is not a credit repair organization as defined under federal or state law, including the Credit Repair Organizations Act. Fair Isaac does not provide "credit repair" services or advice or assistance regarding "rebuilding" or "improving" your credit record, credit history or credit rating. FTC's website on credit.