cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cox Communications / Mid-Continent Credit Services (MCCS) - Old Collection Account

tag
GoHogs4Credit

Cox Communications / Mid-Continent Credit Services (MCCS) - Old Collection Account

I had Cox cable while in college back in the 90s.  I disconnected but apparently didn't return one of the boxes and was charged $140.  I assume this was reported to the agencies then but don't know that for sure because I don't have any reports prior to '06.  I do know it wasn't on my credit report when I got a mortgage back in '04. 

In 2011 I called Cox about switching from DSL to cable internet.  They asked for my SSN and told me that I wasn't eligible because I had a closed account with a balance of $140.  I had forgotten about this but didn't have any reason to dispute it, so I went to the local Cox office and paid the balance that day.  My cable modem service has been up and running since then.

I requested my credit report last year and was suprised to see an entry from Mid-Continent Credit Services for $140 at all three agencies.  The payment history showed no data up until May 2011, which says OK, and nothing since.  I called MCCS in October 2011 and was informed that it was from the Cox account.  I told them I paid the bill to Cox in May of that year, and they said they were aware of that and were reporting the account as paid to reflect that, which is indeed what the report showed.  I asked why an account that was so old was still on my credit report and they said it had only been delinquent since October 2007.  I knew that wasn't right so I told them I would call Cox and then be back in touch with them.

My next call was to Cox, where after some digging they were able to verify that the account had been turned over for $140 - but they told me it was sent to collections in December of 1997.  They told me it changed collection agencies in 2007 and they were suprised it was still on my credit report.  They told me they would be contacting MCCS so they could update their files and I made the mistake of not following back up directly with MCCS because I assumed Cox would.

Fast-forward almost year and I'm now starting to think about a new mortgage.  I checked my report again over the weekend and the MCCS account is still being reported to all three agencies as paid.  I called MCCS again this evening and the first person I spoke with transferred me to "the person who handles the reporting".  I explained that the Cox account was closed in 1997, but she insisted that I must have started the service in 1997 and defaulted in 2007.  I tried explaining that wasn't the case and told her about my converstation with Cox last year.  She had notes from the call I made to them eleven months ago and said that Cox never contacted them, so as far as they are concerned their reporting is correct.  I thanked her and told her I would be in touch with Cox in the morning to hopefully get this cleared up.

First and foremost, would this be considered a re-aged debt?  I don't want to say the wrong thing to Cox or MCCS, but I'd like to know where I stand.  Second, what do I need from Cox to get this removed from my report?  It seems like I will need something in writing from Cox so I can present it to MCCS, and then to the agencies if MCCS will still not remove it. 

I have 90-day lates on four of my revolving accounts from almost five years but everything has been current since then.  This is the only collection account on my report.  It seems like it should fall off in October of next year but I'm going to be shopping mortages before then and don't even want it on the report since it appears on the report as a newer debt than it really is.  Any advice for how I can get this removed will be appreciated!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
GoHogs4Credit

Re: Cox Communications / Mid-Continent Credit Services (MCCS) - Old Collection Account

I called Cox this morning and they told me the same thing they did last October - they reported this account as delinquent in December 1997.  I asked if they would please report that to MCCS so this could be deleted from my credit report, and the representative said she was sending them an email with that information as we spoke.

I waited a few hours and then called MCCS to confirm they had received the email.  They told me they hadn't, but that it wouldn't matter anyway.  They said that since I paid off the account with Cox in 2011, it would remain on my report until 2018.  That's 21 years from the date of delinquency!  She said that paying off the old bill reset the clock from a reporting perspective.

I called Cox back and asked if they could send me something in writing that showed that the account was charged off in 1997 so I could pursue the matter with MCCS legally.  This representative spoke with a supervisor who told her they couldn't send me anything in writing, but that they would be reaching out to MCCS again to have them correct the information.  I was told Cox would call me back with an update once MCCS had corrected the information.

Is there anything else I can do?  What if MCCS continues to insist they are in the right, and Cox won't send me anything in writing?

Message 2 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Cox Communications / Mid-Continent Credit Services (MCCS) - Old Collection Account

It goes by the DoFD and not when you paid it.

It does not reset the clock for anything.

At this point, I would send a direct dispute to the CA.  It will force them to investigate and correct their error.  If they don't you can sue them.

They are in violation when they continue to falsely report to the CRAs.

You can find the direct dispute in my signature.

Message 3 of 5
GoHogs4Credit

Thank you guiness56.  Without something in writing from Cox showing the account was reported delinquent in 1997, I'm not sure if the direct dispute will do any good.  That doesn't mean I won't try if Cox isn't able to get them to update their information on my behalf. 

It is encouraging to hear that the worst possible scenario would have this remaining on my report until October 2014.  That is better than 2018, which is what MCCS told me this morning.

Message 4 of 5
guiness56
Epic Contributor

If the account went delinquent in 1997 it should not be on your report at all, not even until 2014.

Another option is to file a complaint with the Consumer Finance Protection Bureau http://www.consumerfinance.gov/

You can tell them everything in your complaint, including the fact the OC, though verified the account went delinquent in 1997, will not give you anything in writing and that the CA told you it goes from the date paid and not the date of delinquency.  This is a direct violation of the FCRA.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.