Crappy response..

tag
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

Crappy response..

I sent a CA a very detailed DV letter.

All I got back was a letter from the OC stating:

Dear XXXXX,

Thanks for your correspondence, we believe all charges are accurate (sent the past 3-4 bills).

Please pay this balance due to avoid further collection efforts.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Nothing from the CA (the letter WAS mailed to the CA,  and the return address was the CA).

I sent a letter asking for things like proof they are allowed to collect in my state, proof the debt has not expired, etc. 

All they sent was a copy from the OC with a few bills basically saying "pay up".

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Crappy response..

It is proper validation.  They went to the source and the CA got records and sent them to you.

They do not have to provide any of the other things you asked for.

Message 2 of 7
FixMyCredit1992
Established Contributor

So what is the big hullabaloo that everyone makes about spending seven bucks and sending them a lenghty letter CMRR when all they do is send you a few copies of bills? 

I could of done that myself, I have the bills the OC sent me.

I thought the DV letter was supposed to be nothing short of a novella that is supposed to cause an alarm (figurative) to go off and have every worker including the janitor finding all the info they need to fufill the requests or face not having to collect?

Farm and Fleet $3,000 (AU) Paypal Extras MC $1,500
Barclay's Apple Visa $1,200 QVC Qcard $800
Amazon Store Card $600 Discover $500
Walmart MC $400 Victoria's Secret $350
Credit One $300 Fingerhut $200
TU Fico 626

Message 3 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Generally it's for a debt that might be so old that they don't remember it, or it is incorrect some how. It isn't meant for legitimate debts when you're aware of what you  owe and why. If you had the bills right there, you had no reason to get the debt validated. It isn't a get out of jail (er debt) free tool. It's a way to determine that the debt, and balance is actually yours and correct.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 4 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@FixMyCredit1992 wrote:

So what is the big hullabaloo that everyone makes about spending seven bucks and sending them a lenghty letter CMRR when all they do is send you a few copies of bills? 

I could of done that myself, I have the bills the OC sent me.

I thought the DV letter was supposed to be nothing short of a novella that is supposed to cause an alarm (figurative) to go off and have every worker including the janitor finding all the info they need to fufill the requests or face not having to collect?

Not sure what made you think that.

A DV letter, per the FDCPA, simply says you ask who is currently collecting, the amount, and if you specifically ask for, the name and address of the OC and an itemization of the debt.

The purpose of a DV is to make sure you owe the debt and they have not dunned the wrong person.  It also puts a cease collections bar on them until they validate.

Your state laws may require more than the federal DV.  Such as TX Finance Code is a much stronger tool than the FDCPA DV.

Message 5 of 7
notfancy
Valued Contributor

Your best options right now are probably trying to get a pay for delete. How recent are your baddies and in what amounts?

A creditor isn't going to approve you for more debt if you can't resolve the current ones you have... especially if they are small.

625 EQ FICO Current Score: 660 DCU EQ FICO/ 645 Scorewatch EQ FICO , EX FICO 664, TU FICO 737 (08/2014)
Goal Score: 700   Seedling again as of 07/29/14
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

DV are meant for legitimate debts.  You can ask for validation of any portion of the debt.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.