cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE!

tag
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE!

I just received an alert from credit sesame alerting me that I have a new derogatory account listed on my CR. I pulled my report and sure enough there's a new collection and I have no idea what it's for. It says the original creditor is Pendrick Capital Partners. I have never heard of them so I googled them and they are a CA so I assume that they must have bought the debt from someone else. I'm not sure if the debt is mine or not but I'm trying to purchase a home within the next year and I want to get rid of this new problem ASAP. If the debt is mine it could only be one of two things that I can think of (1) medical, from about two years ago, or (2) distant education class from about eight or nine years ago.
If this is the distant education classes finally reporting is it even legal for them to do so after all these years? I wanted to call this CA immediately but I figured I'd pause and come on here and get some advice first on what to do. Like I mentioned I don't acknowledge nor dispute this debt but I'd sure like to know what to say, what not to say if/when I contact this CA. I've done some reading on here about sending the CA a DV letter but some say its a must others say its a waste of time, would like some clarification on that. I've also read that when you're planning on applying for a mortgage that you should never file a dispute with the CRA's, is this true or would it help? If this is a medical like I think it could be would it even be worth bothering with at all since most of what I've read and even my LO said that they don't look at medicals too harshly? If not, I still worry about how recent it will be on my CR when I go to apply for my HL.
I hope this is enough info for some helpful suggestions, if not please let me know and I'll respond back pretty quick with more if needed as I'm trying to get this issue resolved ASAP.
Thanks for your time any help is already appreciated.
P.S. I'm a total newb at this so please be as informative as possible so I don't have to ask to many for further clarification.
Message 1 of 34
33 REPLIES 33
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE!

A CA cannot be an OC.  What probably happened is the real OC sold the debt to a CA, then the CA assigned it to another CA to collect and made themselves the OC.  They are still a CA and have to abide by the FDCPA.

I would send them a DV letter.  It will put in place the cease collection bar until they validate the debt.  Which means, no phone calls, no letters, no updating your CR.  If they do they will be in violation of the FDCPA. 

Without sending the DV you really will have no idea who it is from.  It would probably not be the distant education class, it is too old to report.  But, again anything is possible with a JDB.

True, do not dispute with the CRAs while applying for a mortgage.  They would want them removed.  Disputing accurate information is a no no any way.

It depends on your LO.  Some require all collections to be paid, others collections that occured less than 2 years ago.  It is hard to say.

Getting the collection off would be best.  Send the DV, if they validate, send a PFD.

Message 2 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

So after I send them the DV then what? If/when they do validate this as my debt what next? If this is in fact my debt I don't have the money to pay right now and probably won't for a few months or so.
Message 3 of 34
DaBears
Senior Contributor

How old is the debt? you can try for a settlement.

Message 4 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

It says opened 1/13 and reported 3/13. I'm no expert but something doesn't smell right here. Can they legally make up new dates in order to keep this account current? I'm not sure what this is yet but there is one thing I'm positive about and that is I know for a fact I didn't open this account anywhere near the first of this year.
Message 5 of 34
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Open is the date they aquired the account from the OC. Do you kow the DoFD with the OC?

Message 6 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

No it doesn't give me that information.
Message 7 of 34
DaBears
Senior Contributor

Message 8 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

I've been searching all over this forum for an example of a DV letter but can't seem to find one. Am I over looking it somewhere? If not, what needs to be said and not said in this letter?
I've also read that once the DV is sent that all collection activity must cease. Does this also mean that they have to remove it from my credit report until they respond?
Message 9 of 34
guiness56
Epic Contributor

"You are reporting I owe this debt, account #______.  Please validate under FDCPA 809."

Message 10 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.