cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE!

tag
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE!

Well that's simple enough. What about the second part of my question, do they have to remove from my CR until validated?
Message 11 of 34
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Sorry, I skimmed, lol.

No they do not have to remove it.  They just cannot continue collection activity until they do.

Message 12 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Thanks so much for everyone's advice but I think I figured out who the original creditor is and if I'm right, getting this removed promptly should be a slam dunk!
I've spent so much money and made so many phone calls over the last couple of months working on my credit and improving my scores dramatically I was heartbroken to get that derogatory credit alert in my email on Saturday. So after stewing over this issue all weekend, wondering who the original creditor could possibly be it suddenly dawned on me. Last year I sold my very modest little house and moved to another state. Actually I made the sale final about two weeks after I moved. Anyways approximately a month after I moved I got a citation from the previous city I lived in for the grass at my old property not being cut but I didn't find out about this citation until a year later when I received a letter from a collection agency thanks to my wife never informing me that I had received it in the mail EVEN THOUGH SHE HAD TO SIGN FOR IT! So once I received this collection letter I immediately called the OC and explained to them that at the time the citation was written that I had already sold the property and that I'm not liable for the cost. She asked if I had proof and indeed I did, a notarized deed signed over to the new owner. Problem solved, she said that since it had been so long that a warrant had indeed been issued for my arrest I asked why since it wasn't my property but she said it was because I never responded to the original citation (thanks to my wife argh!) she said I could simply send them thirty dollars and have the warrant dropped and that's what I did. Problem is although they dropped the warrant apparently it slipped their mind to contact the collection agency and cancel the collection so a simple phone call in the AM should have this issue resolved immediately. This has got to be what the new derog is, the amount sounds right but unfortunately I don't have the collection letter anymore to confirm but I'm pretty sure it is the problem.
If I'm right about this do they have to remove the item immediately since it wasn't ever my debt to begin with or are they allowed thirty to sixty days to do so? I hope not because that would be so unfair when I never did anything to bring this upon myself. Thanks everyone.
Message 13 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

@Guiness56

Well it looks like I've figured this mess out but I'd still like to pick your brain for future reference just in case. I get that they have to stop collection activity once DV'd but what if hypothetically the debt actually isn't mine. How in the world is it fair for them to be allowed to leave a derogatory item on my CR if I'm not legally responsible for the debt. What's to say they decide to never respond and I'm just stuck with this derog that I can do nothing further about until they respond? Guess I'm just asking if someone seriously believes something like this to be an error is there any immediate action that can be taken to get the item removed promptly?
Message 14 of 34
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Since it was never your debt to begin with, yes it will need to be removed.  How fast will be up to the persons repsonsible for issuing it in the first place.

You need to start with the person or persons who placed it for collections in the first place.  Let them know it is now showing as a collection and you would like it remedied.  They are the ones that will need to resolve the issue.  The CA is only acting on what they were told, you owe a debt.

Message 15 of 34
Crossdivided
Established Contributor

dispute under whichever condition ends up being accurate (assuming they dont just remove it themselves after DV):

-isnt mine

-oc pif prior to collections (if they backdated the payment to supercede the warrant date, it technically was pif before the ca got their hands on it)

i havent lost a dispute yet that didnt involve one of the above (and was accurate info, of course).

Message 16 of 34
426MW
New Contributor

An arrest warrant for long grass!!!  Are you effing kidding me!  **bleep** has this world come to?

Glad to see you are going to get this off your CR's.

Starting Score: EQ 553 - TU 569 8-24-12
1-4-13 Scores: EQ 645 - TU 675
3-25-13 Lender pull EQ 646 - TU 687 - EX 647
Goal Score: 700 Across the board before 6-13

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 17 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE! [ New ]
Options
‎03-17-2013 01:32 PM

An arrest warrant for long grass!!! Are you effing kidding me! **bleep** has this world come to?

Current Score: EQ 645 - TU 675 1-4-13

LOL! My previous state was Texas so I'm lucky it was just an arrest warrant and not the needle.
Message 18 of 34
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@750orbust wrote:
Re: Credit Alert, new derogatory......NEED HELP PLEASE! [ New ]
Options
‎03-17-2013 01:32 PM

An arrest warrant for long grass!!! Are you effing kidding me! **bleep** has this world come to?

Current Score: EQ 645 - TU 675 1-4-13

LOL! My previous state was Texas so I'm lucky it was just an arrest warrant and not the needle.

LOL.  Come on now, TX is a very consumer friendly state.  As long as your grass doesn't get too long.

Message 19 of 34
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Or in my case, somebody else's grass!
Message 20 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.