Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Builder Loan Question

tag
JersGirl
Established Member

Credit Builder Loan Question

In October I purchased 3B credit monitoring; when looking at my credit report noticed that the credit builder loan, I had taken out in April of 2015 was not being reported to all three credit bureaus.  Also, since I started monitoring my credit I haven’t received any notifications or increase in score from this loan, and fifty percent of it is paid. Should I contact the credit union, where I received the loan? Also, is it faster to boost your credit score with an installment line of credit or revolving credit?

Starting Score: 590
Current Score: EQ651 TU650 EX 638
Goal Score: 750 across the board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Builder Loan Question

Do you currently have any other active installment loans - student loans, auto loans or personal loans?

Revolving accounts are far more effective at driving your scores up.
Message 2 of 15
JersGirl
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:
Do you currently have any other active installment loans - student loans, auto loans or personal loans?

I have a student loan that is paid on time..never late. No car loan or personal loan. I have two CC from Capitol One. Nervous about getting a third, becuase I would like to purchase a home within the next three months.

Message 3 of 15
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@JersGirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I have a student loan that is paid on time..never late. No car loan or personal loan. I have two CC from Capitol One. Nervous about getting a third, becuase I would like to purchase a home within the next three months.

Well you actually need 3 revolvers to drive your Fico but at this time I would make no credit moves if you are going to be doing a mortgage app in 3 months, you dont want any new accounts within 6 months of the pull. If you have a SL you really dont need the rebuilder loan but whats done is done. I would call and ask if they report to all 3 some dont.

Message 4 of 15
JersGirl
Established Member

okay. will do. Thank you.

Message 5 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JersGirl wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

The SL is all you need as far as installment credit. Pay off the rebuilder loan as soon as possible to improve your DTI for the mortgage app.

Message 6 of 15
JersGirl
Established Member

my debt to income ratio is currently at 8 percent(used a dti calulator on zillow). The builder loan will be paid off in january. My score is just not boosting up high enough.

Message 7 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hard to help chart a course, without being able to see the entire picture.

Message 8 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JersGirl wrote:

In October I purchased 3B credit monitoring; when looking at my credit report noticed that the credit builder loan, I had taken out in April of 2015 was not being reported to all three credit bureaus.  Also, since I started monitoring my credit I haven’t received any notifications or increase in score from this loan, and fifty percent of it is paid. Should I contact the credit union, where I received the loan? Also, is it faster to boost your credit score with an installment line of credit or revolving credit?

Paying down revolving debt is the fastest way to build your credit and having 3 open CC's seems to be optimal for most people. Keeping 2 of those 3 cards at a 0 balance with the 3rd card at less than 10% util is what many consider to garner the best results.

Message 9 of 15
JersGirl
Established Member

@Anonymous wrote:

Hard to help chart a course, without being able to see the entire picture.

Credit Card 1#   40 balance....1500 limit....22.9 interest rate

Credit Card 2#    50  balance.....600 limit 19.9 interest rate

CB Loan              815  balance  was 2,000....17% interest

Collections 1#     2500 balance...settled for 1300

Collections 2#     500   balance...paid in full

worried about getting that third cc.

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.