Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Bureau vs. Credit Bureau

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Bureau vs. Credit Bureau

So I am new to this and been playing the back scene for some time now, gathering good information to use towards my rebulding journey.  Now is the time for me to post my first message on here and hope I can get some good responses to help me in my journey of repair!

Is it a good idea to send a confirmation report of an derog item that was removed from Equifax to Experian.  Will that assist with getting the account removed?

I have a paid tax lien that was paid prior to the credit furnisher adding to my reports.  Equifax removed it, TransUnion removed it, but that darn Experian is giving me trouble to have the item removed.  My thoughts are to send a copy of the confirmation page from Equifax with a letter to Experian.

Any help with this would be great!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Bureau vs. Credit Bureau

I dont know specificallly why the two CRAs removed, but from the facts presented, I dont see a reason why they were required to have done so.

The issue with the third CRA is not what the others have done, but what is accurate.

A tax lien is public record informatin that is not reported to the CRA by a furnisher.

It is picked up via public record searches conducted by a CRA, and thus presence with any one CRA depends upon their having found it in their search.

Some searches are more thorough and complete than others.

If the tax lien is in the public record, regardless of when the CRA  picked it up, it can be included in the CRA's files.

Payment of a tax lien does not remove the public record from the conumer's file, it only begins the running of the 7 year period for its ultimate exclusion.

If EX is finding it in the public record, then notifying them that another CRA has deleted would not be basis for their deletion.

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response.  I understand the accuracy of why a credit agency would add this account to my profile, but there isn't any information viewable within public records to add.  The State withdrew the lien after payment was received, so technically there isn't any reason the furnisher would add.  No case information is there.  I disputed this numerous of times and it still comes back as verified.

Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Then the issue is how they were albble to verify the accuracy of something that is not there.

Under FCRA 611(a)(6)(B)(iii), you have the right to request the CRA to provide a description of the procedure used to determine the accuracy and completeness of the information that was subject of a dispute.  That is commonly referred to as a Method of Verification (MOV) request.

I would first send an MOV request to the CRA.  They are required to respond within 15 days.  FCRA 611(a)((7).

You will thus either have a statement of who/how they verified that you can challenge, or else have clear basis for asserting that they do not have basis.

Once you have their response and feel that they have not complied with the reasonable reinvestigation requirement, then file a formal complaint with the CFPB assering a lack of reasonble investigation on their part. 

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I hate to say, but I have done this and Experian has came back with a brief two paragraph statement that reads " the furnisher they use blah blah blah", but never provides details on the company/business name or phone number. I guess my next step will be to file with CFPB and hope they are able to get this resolved.

Thanks for the insight.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.