Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Mess

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Mess

The good that I see in this is you are going to have paid accounts with the OC even though they were charge offs. What you don't have is CA's and all the mess with having to deal with both. I would wait until they start showing as paid and GW them to death. As someone pointed out, use all the differentdelivery methods. It just takes one person to take care of it for you.Another big plus is you don't have the worry of a lawsuit or judgement hanging over your head. Start new credit lines and your score will begin to rebound as things age.

Message 11 of 19
eric19k
Established Contributor

You can offer 30% and request them to mark it as paid in full. Make sure they will not come back for the remaining balance.
Basically, get in writing that they will not resell, come back for remaining balance
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Goal Scores- 720 by March 2014
Message 12 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@eric19k wrote:
You can offer 30% and request them to mark it as paid in full. Make sure they will not come back for the remaining balance.
Basically, get in writing that they will not resell, come back for remaining balance

Really you can do this? Everyone I spoke with told me that if I wanted to settle it wouldnt say paid in full or Paid. They would all say settled. I'm dealing with the original creditors so they are a bit tough. With nordstroms in particular the lady didnt even want to deal with me because it was already sent to their internal collections but said she would take full payment if I had it. I've paid off around 4 cards totalling around 12k today, but I've stopped because I'm starting to wonder if settling is on par with paying the full balance?

I mean if I settle its the same effect as paying in full no?

Message 13 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Insoc wrote:

Problem is, the damage is done, but you only have two realistic options, pay it off or file BK.  I have heard of people not doing anything and getting away with it, but I think wage garnishment and or being sued and etc is the likely next course of action even before you qualify for SOL, in California it's 4 years (statute 337)  Even if you pay them off, your looking at years of negative credit history for this.  I can attest to having several CCs going to collections and charge off pre BK filing, if your lucky some will drop off your reports, I had 5 CCs included in my BK, only 3 are showing up on my credit reports as negatives, most say the will be removed in 6 years.  I noticed that the accounts I closed prior to being late, never showed on my credit reports.  

All depends what your future plans are, filing BK allows you to to do repair, while not doing anything may haunt you forever.  

You know I wanted to declare BK but I was more hesitant because I deal with commercial real estate and though my partner is the one who gets the loans I just fear that BK looks worse. I was just thinking of paying them off and then goodwilling them to death like others have stated because none of them will agree to a PFD at all which is a bit strange, but then again I have read on all the forums that the big banks do not do this at all. 

Did you try to get a mortage or any type of loan that required a manual review and if so did they care about the BK or not at all? If you had to do it all over again would you have just paid off the charge offs or declared BK if you had the money to pay off the charge offs? I just want to get your take on it since you've already been through this process.

Message 14 of 19
eric19k
Established Contributor

I think there is no limitations on what you can do. It takes only right time and right person to agree on what you want.
Personally, I do not pay a penny until I get what I want.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Message 15 of 19
eric19k
Established Contributor

Just a little more effort and be friendly when talking to them.
TU Scores:
May 2014- 466
July 2014- 537
September 2014- 602
Message 16 of 19
Insoc
New Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Insoc wrote:

Problem is, the damage is done, but you only have two realistic options, pay it off or file BK.  I have heard of people not doing anything and getting away with it, but I think wage garnishment and or being sued and etc is the likely next course of action even before you qualify for SOL, in California it's 4 years (statute 337)  Even if you pay them off, your looking at years of negative credit history for this.  I can attest to having several CCs going to collections and charge off pre BK filing, if your lucky some will drop off your reports, I had 5 CCs included in my BK, only 3 are showing up on my credit reports as negatives, most say the will be removed in 6 years.  I noticed that the accounts I closed prior to being late, never showed on my credit reports.  

All depends what your future plans are, filing BK allows you to to do repair, while not doing anything may haunt you forever.  

You know I wanted to declare BK but I was more hesitant because I deal with commercial real estate and though my partner is the one who gets the loans I just fear that BK looks worse. I was just thinking of paying them off and then goodwilling them to death like others have stated because none of them will agree to a PFD at all which is a bit strange, but then again I have read on all the forums that the big banks do not do this at all. 

Did you try to get a mortage or any type of loan that required a manual review and if so did they care about the BK or not at all? If you had to do it all over again would you have just paid off the charge offs or declared BK if you had the money to pay off the charge offs? I just want to get your take on it since you've already been through this process.

No, no mortage or any loans, just a credit card as of late.  I might try a car lease soon for the family, since I affirmed a lease and financed a car prior to BK, the auto side of it is clean with no lates or defaults.  14 months past discharge, and things are turning around.  

Also I could not pay off my debt, was over $30K and had a extended job loss, wife was already out of a job too, burned though savings for 8 months, kept paying my debts and was okay until the money ran out and then I got a job for way less than I made and lost it 8 months later, filed Chapter 7 and got another job a month later, of course making even less $ but discharge came and went.

I did pay off my credit cards once, a number of years ago, when I had a large amount of cash from a sale of some assets, had $0 debt, within a couple of years I was back in debt again.  Investigated filing Chapter 13 in 2007, didn't do it and ended up filing in 2013.  Wish I did it sooner, though 13 would have been tough.

For me filing BK was the best decision I ever made, I lost thousands of $$$ over the years trying to pay down debt with not enough cash flow.  I was getting hit with high APRs and creditors would not work with me, I tried GW letters, calls and etc.  Some would give me 6 months then increase it back up to insane rates.  Most were under 10%, but even 10% of $5K/month is a lot.  I had Citibank call centers employees laugh at me on the phone when I asked them to throw me a bone on the APR, literally laugh to the person sitting next to them, like I was on speaker phone.

I also lost some assets in filing BK, not much I could do and the value was not that much.

Suppose you have to weigh it out with a free consulation with a Lawyer.

Message 17 of 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Insoc wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Insoc wrote:

No, no mortage or any loans, just a credit card as of late.  I might try a car lease soon for the family, since I affirmed a lease and financed a car prior to BK, the auto side of it is clean with no lates or defaults.  14 months past discharge, and things are turning around.  

Also I could not pay off my debt, was over $30K and had a extended job loss, wife was already out of a job too, burned though savings for 8 months, kept paying my debts and was okay until the money ran out and then I got a job for way less than I made and lost it 8 months later, filed Chapter 7 and got another job a month later, of course making even less $ but discharge came and went.

I did pay off my credit cards once, a number of years ago, when I had a large amount of cash from a sale of some assets, had $0 debt, within a couple of years I was back in debt again.  Investigated filing Chapter 13 in 2007, didn't do it and ended up filing in 2013.  Wish I did it sooner, though 13 would have been tough.

For me filing BK was the best decision I ever made, I lost thousands of $$$ over the years trying to pay down debt with not enough cash flow.  I was getting hit with high APRs and creditors would not work with me, I tried GW letters, calls and etc.  Some would give me 6 months then increase it back up to insane rates.  Most were under 10%, but even 10% of $5K/month is a lot.  I had Citibank call centers employees laugh at me on the phone when I asked them to throw me a bone on the APR, literally laugh to the person sitting next to them, like I was on speaker phone.

I also lost some assets in filing BK, not much I could do and the value was not that much.

Suppose you have to weigh it out with a free consulation with a Lawyer.

I'm sorry to hear about all your financial difficulties but on the bright side it seems you are doing much better now! All you can ever hope for is progress and it appears that you are en route. I completely agree that the creditors are just brutal with regards to interest rates and payments. Only in America can you sell your future today other countries (improverished ones, but who wants to live there) dont even have credit cards. Credit is a double edged swords it can help or it can hurt badly.

I spoke with a BK lawyer in fact and it just appeared to me he wanted me to go down the BK route so just he could sign another client. I mean there is no doubt that I'm going to be losing thousands and thousands making full payments on the accounts, but luckily I guess I'm in a position to do so. My only issue was that if that was the best course of action to go.

Message 18 of 19
taxi818
Super Contributor

@eric19k wrote:
I think there is no limitations on what you can do. It takes only right time and right person to agree on what you want.
Personally, I do not pay a penny until I get what I want.

I agree completly. i read almost every thread here. so im aware. of what others are saying. yes but you already paid.

and yes it is the right thing to do.

But it is not right time to do.

there is no way i would have paid until i had some consiliation. other wise would have just used money to settle all of my accounts and then try good will.

as no matter what your scores are not going to go up for paying . that is the problem with fico 8 right now.

in fact i would say your score is probably going to go down now even further once they report those payments and change the status of those accounts from open to closed.

really in this situation. true catch 22. damned if you do. damned if you don't . But for the remaing money you have. don't waste it just paying blinding. that money can be your friend and you want to do the right thing.

just try every method stating you want to pay for delete. email. snail mail. call on phone. just don't take no for a answer. after about 6 months will no luck. throw a bone. this is the worst. as i can feel your pain.

I have 1 baddie left.

it is very sad.

a 5 year old collection from brighthouse network for a cable bill. a cable bill really.

Which is paid in full btw.

And still they wont remove it. makes me wonder where my score would be without that simple collection. and in fact i did not even owe the money as i had paid in advance and returned all equipment.

but i dd not know i even owed until earlier this year. when i finally called to get cable again instead of satellite tv.

anyways.

Good luck. and stop ever stop trying to get deleted. once amonth. eventually someone will get sick of your junk mail and delete it.

Message 19 of 19
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.