Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Pre-Approvals

tag
bitingthebullet
Established Member

Credit Card Pre-Approvals

Hello,

I recently applied for an auto loan but was denied due to insufficient credit history (and the little history I have reflects poor payment during a period of time). I was eventually able to get approved for a small personal loan with a co-applicant. My credit score is in the high 600’s, almost 700, and I am looking to build credit history and strengthen my credit score. I have noticed that I have been receiving a lot of credit card pre-approval offers lately, and especially after applying for the loan. This might not be significant but in the past few years I have not been receiving any of these unsolicited offers. Would it be a good idea to accept at least one of these? Do they require hard pulls? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you! 

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card Pre-Approvals

Yes, they require HPs more than likely.  Post on our Credit Card boards the offers your getting and your situation, they will give you an idea of which ones to try for.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 3
ACG23
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Pre-Approvals

Full applications always require hard-pulls. Pre-qualified offers are generally garnered from soft-pulls, and strongly indicate but do not guarantee application success. It's the rare pre-qual that doesn't end in approval -- Chase is thought to be especially reliable -- but it does happen. Generally, I would think, you're likely to get approved if you have a clean file. Like, unless their hard-algorithm would, on a closer look, pick up something the soft-algorithm might miss (derogatory, collection, etc.), don't worry. If your only concern is short history you're probably ok. 

I would check on these boards to see what kind of history the lenders you're looking at prefer. Then, once you've done your research, go ahead and take a shot Smiley Happy

Gardening since May 2015
Starting Score: 585
Current Score: 770 EX
Goal Score: 790

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.