cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Recommendations to improve my credit

tag
dccc

Credit Card Recommendations to improve my credit

I will be very greatfull if you kind people can suggest cards or anything else I can apply for to further improve my credit.

myfico scores

Eq (12 inq) 630 

Trans (7 inq) 725 

Exp (8 inq) 646 

All inq atleast over 6 months ago except for one equifax inq from NFCU for a cli which was denied. Recon and went from 4500 to 5000

Overall util 13 %

In my wallet

Discover secure        2500 limit  opened December 2016               Oldest Account on file

Cap1 Secure               500 limit    opened   December 2016

NFCU cash reward     4500 limit  opened     May    2017

Chase Freedom          1000 limit opened     June 2017

Message 1 of 10
9 REPLIES 9
DollyLama
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Recommendations to improve my credit

Do you have an installment (open) loan(s) in the credit mix? Student loans, personal loan, auto loans? That could raise you some decent points on reports. 

You seem to have the right card in a rebuild. Can you elaborate a bit as to what is dragging scores down. Did you file a BK, how long ago? Do you multiple late pays on present or previous accounts? When was the most recent, the age of the oldest? Do you have any chargeoffs/collections reporting? 

Pretty numerous inquiries (unless was for mortgage or auto loan), when will most become unscoreable as far as FICO 8 (which is 1 yr from the date the inquiry was pulled). 

Message 2 of 10
dccc

Thank you so much for replying to me. I am new to credit , as such did not have a credit score when I started. The first card I applied for was Fingerhut, but gave up when they requested I send in Id's and other things. They pulled all 3 bureau.

Next I applied for cap 1 and Discover secured.
For installment loan, I applied Austin capital installment loan which has now been paid off (wish i knew better to keep a small balance.

After finally getting a credit score, I applied for NFCU (3 inq) approved only for the credit card with a generous 4500 starting limit.

Penfed dinged with 2 inquiries. Credit card 1000 SL and the PLOC 8000. I have since closed both....regret doing that

During the same period applied for and approved for 3 American express cards (all closed too which I also regret). One of the American express cards has a 60 day late which will be deleted sometime this week. Long story but it wasn't entirely my fault. I called their credit bureau number and a nice lady conferenced in customer service and was told late will be deleted within 5 days.

Chase gave me a 1000 SP

I haven't filed for bankruptcy and do not have any collections.

Oldest account is cap1and discover both a little over a year old.
Newest is Chase, 7 months old
Message 3 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

I would check everywhere for prequalifications. (Cap One, Discover, Bank of America, Amex, Citibank)

Cap One might give you a decent card if you have been using and paying your cap one secured.

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 4 of 10
dccc

For the prequalifications

Capital One

- Platinum

-QuicksilverOne

Bank of America

-Offers only recommendation not prequalify

US BANK

- Cashplus visa signature

-Flexperks

-Cash363

Discovers give me an error message.

Message 5 of 10
Adkins
Legendary Contributor

@dcccwrote:

For the prequalifications

Capital One

- Platinum 

-QuicksilverOne - if it's the one with the annual fee, you can PC to no fee after a bit

Bank of America

-Offers only recommendation not prequalify - do not apply

US BANK

- Cashplus visa signature

-Flexperks                           - are these giving a SINGLE apr, and not a range?? If so, apply, if not do NOT apply

-Cash363

Discovers give me an error message.

Try Discover again later, in case the issue is on their end. 

Last HP 08-07-2023

Message 6 of 10
dccc

I applied only for the US cash plus card. It gave a single APR. They approved me for $600. It took 5 days for approval. I called after the approval and requested $7500 - Aproved.

I will stay away from capital one because they pull all 3

Message 7 of 10
Shooting-For-800
Senior Contributor

@dcccwrote:

I applied only for the US cash plus card. It gave a single APR. They approved me for $600. It took 5 days for approval. I called after the approval and requested $7500 - Aproved.

I will stay away from capital one because they pull all 3

You went from SL of $600 to $7,500 with a phone call?

Rebuild started in 2014  -  $100k unsecured credit in 2017  -  $500k unsecured credit in 2024.

DON'T WORK FOR CREDIT CARDS ... MAKE CREDIT CARDS WORK FOR YOU!

Message 8 of 10
dccc

That is correct. It took 24 hours for the SL increase request. I am yet to receive the card in the mail.

Message 9 of 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

IMO ...I’d take care of the cards you got! Keep them for awhile and garden let some of the inq fall off. Call in 6 months and ask to be upgraded to unsecured cards! If I remember right from what I’ve read here...2-3 cards was all you need to build your score long as u keep your uti below 10% any other cards over them was only personal preference (rebates...store cards ...etc) me personally I’ve got captiol one quick silver (one of my first cards) discover and Amex with big CLs ...NFCu just to have accounts there and 2 penfed s that I use all the time! Citi (thinking of closing pen fed has same rebate) and my last card I wanted forever because of the 6month interest free blispay (don’t apply till u get above 700)....but I started out with 2 ..500 credit line .. high interest cards ....bought and paid off stuff with them till capitol one gave me two better cards and closed the crappy ones.
Message 10 of 10
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.