Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Utilization Reported

tag
Fletcher2
Regular Contributor

Credit Card Utilization Reported

Will carrying ANY balance on a credit card be reported as 1% utilization? For example, assume someone has a $1K credit limit on their card and when the issuer reports the current balance to the credit union, they have an outstanding balanace of $1.50, which is clearly under 1%.

Will this still be reported as 1% utilization, or, instead, must they carry a balance that would round up to 1%...like this:

$1,000 CL x .006 = $6

I suspect the answer to my question is that carrying ANY amount is reported as 1%, but hoping you guys can confirm or correct... Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Utilization Reported

I'm honestly not sure myself, and don't mean to thread jack you, but your post made me think of something interesting. Of course after your question is answered, I wonder what the CC company sends to the CRA's when your balance is in the negatives. (For instance if you accidently paid extra on your CC which brought your balance to -$50). Would this be calculated into your UTI? Or would they simply not report to the CRA's for those months?

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'm honestly not sure myself, and don't mean to thread jack you, but your post made me think of something interesting. Of course after your question is answered, I wonder what the CC company sends to the CRA's when your balance is in the negatives. (For instance if you accidently paid extra on your CC which brought your balance to -$50). Would this be calculated into your UTI? Or would they simply not report to the CRA's for those months?

I have a negative $14 balance on my Amazon card and it reports as a zero balance.

Message 3 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Yes any balance reported on a card will be  rounded up to 1% by Fico. You might want to be sure to have enough of a balance, 10-20 bucks as some creditors will write off small balances and then you dont have any balance to report at all. Comenity for one loves to do this.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.