cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that are good for credit building?

tag
Mistakes
Contributor

Credit Cards that are good for credit building?

Anybody know of any credit cards that approve easily?  I'm looking to improve my score and I need a CC.  Thanks!

Starting Score: EX649/EQ637/TU611
Current Score: EX649/EQ637/TU620
Goal Score: 750+ ALL 3 by December 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
lbdebtfree

Re: Credit Cards that are good for credit building?

Orchard Bank.  It might involve a small annual fee.  I liked this card because over the years it did help build my credit and was geared towards those rebuilding credit and that might've had a difficult time getting approved for other types of cards.  They may start you out with a small limit and increase it as time goes along as you show yourself to be creditworthy.

"Being wealthy is all great but living comfortable and care free is better."

Jan 2012 CK FICO ~ (Ex) 666, (EQ) 650, (TU) 628
Feb 2012 CK FICO ~ (Ex) 666, (EQ) 657, (TU) 652

Lowest Known Score 530's. Goal Score: 720
Message 2 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

Would you think i could get them?

Scores below.

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

You can look on this website (click here), put in your current FICO® score and see what is available to you.

Hope this helps!

Message 4 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

nice.... i got approved for a card before that was in a higher fico bracket then i am currently in .... an unsecured capital one platinum rewards or whatever.

My credit journey has completed. I am currently sitting at 800+ across the board.

I started my journey here years ago, and thanks to MyFico, it really is possible.
Message 5 of 12
jeffery581
Established Contributor

Try looking at pre selector sites for Capital One to see if they pre qualify you for anything. Orchard Bank. Also I used Credit One, High Fees, I plan on closing them after having it opened 3 years (They served a purpose). Some of the not so prime cards have fees but other than that its secured credit cards. Just be careful with inquires. Also Other sites have prequalifiyer, if it recomends an offer you might get it. Do you have any open accounts now? Should have atleast maybe 3-4 with a retail card for mix.

Capital One Quicksilver Visa | Capital One Quicksilver Matercard | Sony Visa | ebay Mastercard | Best Buy Visa| Shell Mastercard | CareCredit | Amazon Rewards Visa | Discover it | Lowes | Home Depot | Chase Freedom | Ebates Visa | TJMAX Platinum MasterCard | Stash Signature Visa | Hilton Amex | Bank of America Cash Rewards Visa | Bank of America Better Balance Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash Rewards | Blue Cash AMEX | IHG Rewards Club World Mastercard | Barclay Cash Foward World Mastercard | Bank of America Travel Rewards Visa | US Bank Cash 365 AMEX | Amex Everyday | Target | CITI Double Cash | WELLS FARGO PROPEL AMEX | Royal Carribean Visa | AARP REWARDS VISA | BEst Western Mastercard
Message 6 of 12
somotao
Frequent Contributor

I was able to get both Capital One and Orchard with very similar Credit scores a few months ago.

I would also recommend using the Capital One Credit card offer tool to see if you are preqaulified for any of their cards

https://cardfinder.capitalone.com/CapOne/findMyOffer.do?ex=R&pr=&id=&tg=51&pnt=ZAFF01ZZZZZ10100GA04&...

The beauty about the tool is that it does not run a credit report but with basic information match you against cards which you could be a potential match for. I only wish that other Credit Card providers offered similar tools.

Good Luck and I wish you all the best as you work upwards to the heights of Great Credit.

Starting Score: 500s
Current Score: EQ: 708myFICO(7/15/17), TU: 721myFICO(7/15/17), EX: 701myFICO(7/15/17)
Goal Score: 750

Wallet: Discover IT $50300, Capital One Platinum $17000, Barclays Rewards $6700, Walmart $6000, Amazon Store Card $6000 Chase Sapphire Preferred $5000, Chase Sapphire Reserve $10000, Bank of America Cash Rewards $500. BestBuy $10000
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm another fan of Orchard for rebuilding.  Worked swell for me, kept it open for a year - it was worth the annual fee for that first year.  Also like Cap One for building in a previous life.  I agree with other posters to use the prequal link if you're looking at Cap One.

Message 8 of 12
GoodCredBen
Valued Contributor

hurm why do they pre approve me for the platinum rewards card when i dont fall into their credit category... heck i even defaulted on two cap 1 cards a while back.... 

Message 9 of 12
Mistakes
Contributor

Thank you all so much!  Does anyone have info on retail cards?

Starting Score: EX649/EQ637/TU611
Current Score: EX649/EQ637/TU620
Goal Score: 750+ ALL 3 by December 2012

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.