Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards with offensively small limits

tag
Starting_Over2013
Regular Contributor

Credit Cards with offensively small limits

I am one of the many individuals that made the fatal error of taking advantage of far too many of the Comenity shopping cart trick retail credit cards. Unfortunately, many of these cards have very low credit limits and I don't use them at all, aside from VS. They are all currently at a zero balance. I have a couple of older credit cards (two years or so) and these smaller cards were opened along with some others that actually have nice limits within the last year while trying to rebuild my credit. Besides credit cards, I also have a mortgage and two auto loans reporting on my credit report, all of which have never been late. I currently have an overall utilization of 19%. My question is, is it negatively impacting my credit having so many of these smaller cards open in addition to my other cards on my report? If so, should I close them out?The cards are shown below. I would really appreciate some insight, as I have worked really hard to improve my score and I'd like to keep going! Thank you!  

Note - these cards were all opened between August and November of 2013

JCP100.00  
Solutions250.00
NY&Co250.00
Express 350.00
The Limited350.00
Buckle500.00
Brylane Home500.00
Metrostyle500.00
Current Scores: EX 780, EQ 779, TU 782
Starting Scores Aug 2013: EX 650, EQ 649, TU 596

Goal: 800 across the board!
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Cards with offensively small limits

@Starting_Over2013 wrote:

I am one of the many individuals that made the fatal error of taking advantage of far too many of the Comenity shopping cart trick retail credit cards. Unfortunately, many of these cards have very low credit limits and I don't use them at all, aside from VS. They are all currently at a zero balance. I have a couple of older credit cards (two years or so) and these smaller cards were opened along with some others that actually have nice limits within the last year while trying to rebuild my credit. Besides credit cards, I also have a mortgage and two auto loans reporting on my credit report, all of which have never been late. I currently have an overall utilization of 19%. My question is, is it negatively impacting my credit having so many of these smaller cards open in addition to my other cards on my report? No the fact that you have them doesnt hurt you what did hurt was the inquiry if some were hards and then so many reporting new at once, you have already taken the hit for them. Now they are helping with your utilization as the limits are included in the aggregate, closing only raises your util percentage. If you want the best scenario from these cards and any card you ever open you want to let them report 24 months of history prior to closing, this helps with FICO score of the account individually. Another reason to not open-close accounts so quickly is it's viewed negatively by credit underwriters.

If so, should I close them out? The cards are shown below. I would really appreciate some insight, as I have worked really hard to improve my score and I'd like to keep going! Thank you!  

JCP100.00  
Solutions250.00
NY&Co250.00
Express 350.00
The Limited350.00
Buckle500.00
Brylane Home500.00
Metrostyle500.00

Message 2 of 6
Starting_Over2013
Regular Contributor

What if I don't use these cards at all? That's one of my main concerns. I don't want to let them sit and then have the creditor possibly close them out. I also don't want to make unnecessary or unwanted purchases at retail stores just so the balances are reported. If these were VS/MC's it wouldn't be an issue!
I just don't see myself utilizing these cards, especially Brylane Home and Solutions.
Current Scores: EX 780, EQ 779, TU 782
Starting Scores Aug 2013: EX 650, EQ 649, TU 596

Goal: 800 across the board!
Message 3 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

An open revolving account gives authorization for your use of approved amounts up to the credit limit.

A closed account closes usage,and thus effectively eliminates any credit limit.

If the account balance is $0, closing removes it from your % util scoring.

Open accounts impose FCBA and FCRA requirements on the creditor to maintain billing and the accuracy of their current reporting.  Time an expense to montor monthly.

A prudent business decision might be to relieve themselves of all time and expense by closing a line of credit that is not being used, and deleting all reporting.

Then mothball the account.

Disuse of revolving credit also does not provide any current history on your effective use of revolving credit.

Creditors are not concerned with affects on your score, but with $ due to usage of the credit extended.

Thus, some onus falls on the consumer to use the credit, or face possible deletion of the account from credit reporting.

Message 4 of 6
12njoy
Super Contributor

@gdale6 wrote:

@Starting_Over2013 wrote:

I am one of the many individuals that made the fatal error of taking advantage of far too many of the Comenity shopping cart trick retail credit cards. Unfortunately, many of these cards have very low credit limits and I don't use them at all, aside from VS. They are all currently at a zero balance. I have a couple of older credit cards (two years or so) and these smaller cards were opened along with some others that actually have nice limits within the last year while trying to rebuild my credit. Besides credit cards, I also have a mortgage and two auto loans reporting on my credit report, all of which have never been late. I currently have an overall utilization of 19%. My question is, is it negatively impacting my credit having so many of these smaller cards open in addition to my other cards on my report? No the fact that you have them doesnt hurt you what did hurt was the inquiry if some were hards and then so many reporting new at once, you have already taken the hit for them. Now they are helping with your utilization as the limits are included in the aggregate, closing only raises your util percentage. If you want the best scenario from these cards and any card you ever open you want to let them report 24 months of history prior to closing, this helps with FICO score of the account individually. Another reason to not open-close accounts so quickly is it's viewed negatively by credit underwriters.

If so, should I close them out? The cards are shown below. I would really appreciate some insight, as I have worked really hard to improve my score and I'd like to keep going! Thank you!  

JCP100.00  
Solutions250.00
NY&Co250.00
Express 350.00
The Limited350.00
Buckle500.00
Brylane Home500.00
Metrostyle500.00

+1  There's truth in the words of the great gdale (my Clint Eastwood impression).  I too have opened many many many accounts in the past 9 months.  Fortunately, for me though, I don't need anything else at the moment.  I will try and expand on what I have through cli's.

(Formerly known as: Credit is my hobby (1.6M)/TCL objective)
___________ 12Njoy
FICO - EX 810; EQ 797; TU 804 I'm climbing back to 800+
Message 5 of 6
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

I have experience with JCP Penney only. They started me with the same creidt limit as yours and my scores then and now are about the same. I used the card bought a gift card and some socks (something inexpensive).. I used the card a couple times during the the first six months after six months they raised the limit  to 500 or 600 (cant remember). I bought something else after a year I asked for CLI ( it was a soft pull) and the raised my credit limit to 2700. This all happend about 5 years ago. The creidt limit is fine I may spentd 100 to 200 or less depending on what I need. Hope this helps

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.