Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Counseling Services Notation

tag
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

Credit Counseling Services Notation

Hi all!

Before I found these amazing life changing forums, I ended up putting some debt on a DMP.  I have two cards with Chase and GE/Care Credit that have a notation on the reports that a "Credit Counseling Service was used."  This is accurate information, but I'm curious if anyone else this in this position has had any luck getting your creditors to remove that notation? 

It wouldn't be a huge deal, but it came up in a manual review and also I was instantly denied a credit with that being the only given reason for the denial. 

Also, my Experian score has shot up 150 points (literally 524-674) in the last 6 months, thanks to this forum!  Smiley Happy

Appreciate your thoughts!

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Counseling Services Notation

I have many cards on my CR that show that since I finished a DMP service about 5 years ago. I would leave it be since as far as I can tell it hasn't hurt my ability to get approved for credit and it has zero impact on your FICO score. Also since the accounts are probably closed, you don't want to do anything to get them dropped off your CR since their age is helping your FICO score.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

@aurelie00 wrote:

Hi all!

Before I found these amazing life changing forums, I ended up putting some debt on a DMP.  I have two cards with Chase and GE/Care Credit that have a notation on the reports that a "Credit Counseling Service was used."  This is accurate information, but I'm curious if anyone else this in this position has had any luck getting your creditors to remove that notation? 

It wouldn't be a huge deal, but it came up in a manual review and also I was instantly denied a credit with that being the only given reason for the denial. 

Also, my Experian score has shot up 150 points (literally 524-674) in the last 6 months, thanks to this forum!  Smiley Happy

Appreciate your thoughts!

Once your DMP was completed that remark was supposed to be removed.  I would contact them and ask for them to remove it.  Especially since you were denied credit.

Message 3 of 4
aurelie00
Regular Contributor

Thanks Guiness!

Starting Score: 524
Current Score: 715
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.