Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit History & Qestions for next steps

tag
stepstep
Valued Member

Credit History & Qestions for next steps

Hi all,

First time poster, but I have been lurking on these boards for a year or so on and off and have made some progress on my credit. It has been REALLY slow going, probably because I haven’t been doing much about the old baddies, but paid down over $9,000 in old debt since 6/2011.

These scores are pulled from Credit Check Total:

8/23/10  -  EX – 502  EQ – 541  TU – 527

8/8/11  -  EX – 577  EQ – 586  TU – 569

8/8/12  -  EX – 584  EQ – 585  TU – 573

8/6/13  -  EX – 594  EQ – 598  TU – 582

5/15/14  -  EX – 607  EQ – 633  TU – 604

I started out rebuilding my credit 2.5 years ago with a Capital One credit card with a $300 limit (not secured) which recently was increased to $2,000. This has a high APR, but I rarely have more than $350 balance on it, if any. I was just recently approved for a Discover IT with $1,500 limit (also high APR) & October I was approved through Ford Credit for a car at 5.9%.

To start off I should say that I currently have the funds to PIF all my debts if I needed to. Not instantly, but within 24 - 48 hours could have the funds available in my account. I want to buy a house in the near future and have a small savings account in a bank for a down payment that I have limited access to. (Out of sight & access, out of mind, money doesn’t get spent on frivolous things.)  I don’t know if it matters much to you all, but if you were wondering why I didn’t pay the bills with this money at the time they were due, this was a trust that I was recently given access to and $ was tied up until then.

Currently I am not worrying about the late payments that are on my report. I would like to start with paying off all derogatory items.

AMEX – Charge off $361, Paid in full 5/15/14.

This probably would have dropped off my credit by the end of the year, but I would like the opportunity to have an account with them in the future.

The Best Service Company – Collection $1,487

Due to a Bank of the West account that closed NSF. – 7/8/08 is when this went to NSF. I would like to pay them next.

Credit Coll – Collection $652

I am unsure what this debt is for.

I C System – Collection $252

LVNV Funding – Debt Purchase $721

Midland Fund – Debt Purchase $2,520

HSBC credit card.  I do not know what the date of delinquency is. How do I find out? At any rate these people are horrible and they will be the last debt paid if I can help it.

Rash Curtis & Associates – Medical ~$490

I paid the Dr directly (December '13) & check is cleared.

I have read & searched the boards, but what is the proper way to find out what the 3 collection accounts original creditor is? I have read the sticky forms and see PFD & GW letters, but not sure what verification format to use. I am in California if that makes a difference.

I am a bit of a paperwork hoarder and know that once they told me the original creditor I will have a file on them.

Any advice on the best place to start would be much appreciated!

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit History & Qestions for next steps

@stepstep wrote:

Hi all,

First time poster, but I have been lurking on these boards for a year or so on and off and have made some progress on my credit. It has been REALLY slow going, probably because I haven’t been doing much about the old baddies, but paid down over $9,000 in old debt since 6/2011.

These scores are pulled from Credit Check Total:

8/23/10  -  EX – 502  EQ – 541  TU – 527

8/8/11  -  EX – 577  EQ – 586  TU – 569

8/8/12  -  EX – 584  EQ – 585  TU – 573

8/6/13  -  EX – 594  EQ – 598  TU – 582

5/15/14  -  EX – 607  EQ – 633  TU – 604

I started out rebuilding my credit 2.5 years ago with a Capital One credit card with a $300 limit (not secured) which recently was increased to $2,000. This has a high APR, but I rarely have more than $350 balance on it, if any. I was just recently approved for a Discover IT with $1,500 limit (also high APR) & October I was approved through Ford Credit for a car at 5.9%.

To start off I should say that I currently have the funds to PIF all my debts if I needed to. Not instantly, but within 24 - 48 hours could have the funds available in my account. I want to buy a house in the near future and have a small savings account in a bank for a down payment that I have limited access to. (Out of sight & access, out of mind, money doesn’t get spent on frivolous things.)  I don’t know if it matters much to you all, but if you were wondering why I didn’t pay the bills with this money at the time they were due, this was a trust that I was recently given access to and $ was tied up until then.

Currently I am not worrying about the late payments that are on my report. I would like to start with paying off all derogatory items.

AMEX – Charge off $361, Paid in full 5/15/14.

This probably would have dropped off my credit by the end of the year, but I would like the opportunity to have an account with them in the future.

Good for you!

The Best Service Company – Collection $1,487

Due to a Bank of the West account that closed NSF. – 7/8/08 is when this went to NSF. I would like to pay them next.

Pay this off, it has about a year and a couple of months and it will be excluded.

Credit Coll – Collection $652

Send a DV, if you agree with the debt, send a PFD.

I C System – Collection $252

LVNV Funding – Debt Purchase $721

Midland Fund – Debt Purchase $2,520

HSBC credit card.  I do not know what the date of delinquency is. How do I find out? At any rate these people are horrible and they will be the last debt paid if I can help it.

Rash Curtis & Associates – Medical ~$490

I paid the Dr directly (December '13) & check is cleared.

Send a GW, it's paid!

I have read & searched the boards, but what is the proper way to find out what the 3 collection accounts original creditor is? I have read the sticky forms and see PFD & GW letters, but not sure what verification format to use. I am in California if that makes a difference.

Use the GWs as a guide, write your own.  Make it short and sweet and dripping with kindness and forgiveness.

PFDs should be written the same way, a short story about why it went bad, then ask for them to delete if you pay.

I am a bit of a paperwork hoarder and know that once they told me the original creditor I will have a file on them.

Any advice on the best place to start would be much appreciated!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.