cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Inquiries

tag

Credit Inquiries

Since this past May I've applied for credit a few times. On May 1st I applied for a Kay Jewelers credit card to have a new positive line of credit since I didn't have many open.

In mid July I traded in my car for a new one. I know when dealerships run credit apps they inquire with a few different banks at once. For me, they ran me off 9 different banks. I was under the impression that when applying for auto loans and mortgages that those types of credit inquiries lump into one or fall off your report within a few months.

Here it is December 1st, over 4 months after purchasing the car and all those credit inquiries are still on my file. How do I get those off or when do I expect those to come off?

Starting Score: EX 656 Current Score: EX 656 4/18/14 Goal Score: 720 by 1/1/15
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
CAP1 QUICKSILVER MASTERCARD: $4,000 | CAP1 CLASSIC PLATINUM MASTERCARD: $2,000 | KAY JEWELERS: $7,600
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Inquiries

you can't 'get them off', but for scoring purposes they should only count as one inquiry.

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The inquiries all remain of record in your credit file.

However, FICO scoring looks at them as only a single inquiry if all were made within the sliding number of days window used by the specific scoring version.

Message 3 of 5

Ok so just to be clear,

Looking at my credit report I can see that they are showing as 9 separate inquiries. But technically scoring agencies and when other companies that check my credit file before deciding my credit worthiness only sees all of those as 1?

Starting Score: EX 656 Current Score: EX 656 4/18/14 Goal Score: 720 by 1/1/15
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
CAP1 QUICKSILVER MASTERCARD: $4,000 | CAP1 CLASSIC PLATINUM MASTERCARD: $2,000 | KAY JEWELERS: $7,600
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

They will only count as one if the creditors use the proper type of pull name. My dealer named the pull automotive. Ford Credit named it "national credit cards/ airlines". Nothing even closely related. Does Ford even have any credit cards, or airline cards to begin with? I so wanted to call and bitch regarding this, but thankfully I only had 2 inquiries from a buying a Ford, and I didn't even the loan from my dealer, but through my CU. 

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.