Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma: Need Help Understanding

tag
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Credit Karma: Need Help Understanding

Hi everyone.  I just signed up for credit karma and was hoping you could give me a little hand in understanding how it works.  I have a ton of negatives on my CR from student loans which I rehabbed but haven't been reported at being rehabbed yet.  My original servicer was Dept. of Ed (Direct Loans).  The new servicer is NELNET.  On credit karma it is reporting my Nelnet accounts as active and paid on time and is showing my Dept of Ed. accounts as closed with 11 delinquencies.  I am wondering if the fact that the Dept of Ed has closed the loans will mean that they will eventually come off my report altogether?  Also wha perplexes me is the fact that I have all these negative "closed" accounts (two in collections) while Credit Karma is reporting that my payment history is 98% ?? I am a bit confused here!  I see that I have one express late from 2009 (I will GW it) and two collections which I am dealing with.  My plan is to wait for my student loan rehab reporting to take affect while I GW the one late and try to get rid of these two collections meanwhile I am trying to bring my two secured CC utilizations down (they are high because I have been trying to pay extra towards loans).  My transunion score sits at a 612.  Its not good but I guess it is something to work with.  PS credit karma is reporting that I have made 71 out of 72 payments on time?  I am downright confused. THANKS

Starting Score April 2013: 556
Current Score March 2014: 682
Goal Score Soon (-: 700

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Karma: Need Help Understanding

Also one other thing I am hoping you guys can help me with.  It says on my collections that I owe $251 to "1st CRD SRVC" . Can you tell me exactly who these people are and do you think I could do a pay for delete for the $251?  This is such a small amount and is affecting my credit adversely. THANKS!!!!

Message 2 of 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

When I rehabbed my student loans, the closed ones turned positive as well after a certain amount of time, in addition to the new postive one. They were never removed. So I ended up with a total of 4 accounts reporting a postive 14 year history.

It sounds like the 71 out of 72 on time payments would be in reference to that one late in 2009.

It sounds like you are on the right track and have your plan in place.  

Message 3 of 8
DiabolicallyRandom
Established Contributor

I would choose a better credit monitoring service to track my progress though.  Something more along the lines of eliminateidtheft.com, the scores are still fako but at least you get to see full reports and update daily to really keep track of things.  

Message 4 of 8
jbrown773
Contributor

If you go to transunion to dispute something on your file you will get your credit report but not the score and it will have the number to that CA so you can call and ask for a PFD or send them a letter for it. 

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Message 5 of 8
tfkallday
Frequent Contributor

Thanks a lot! This info is MUCH appreciated. You guys are the best community

Message 6 of 8
cnnlov
Valued Member

You can also get all three reports for free once a year at annualcreditreport. The reports are very detailed, that way you know what's being reported on all of you reports not just one.

Message 7 of 8
jbrown773
Contributor

sure thing

Starting Score: EQ FICO 582, TU 614, EX 528 9/13
Current Score: EQ FICO 648, TU 678, EX 663
Goal Score: 700

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.