Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma misreporting TU collections data according to CS360

tag
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Credit Karma misreporting TU collections data according to CS360

Hi all

I have an account place with CS360 to dispute the collection with PRA and Have posted about it.

Yesterday was my 45th day and they were supposed to review my claim if PRA had not removed the collections from my accounts.

I logged in and saw that TU had supposedly removed the account but EQ had not. I was given a link to a sample letter to send to EQ.

IT seemed strange and as an impatient person I went digging about and found the TU was actuall still showing the account on my report. I verified this through various means INCLUDING my MYFICO paid account, My CCT paid account, The TU dispute link and I bought a new report from EQ so I could get their information to use in the letter.

I notifed CS360 that something was not right, and apparently others did too.

Today I recieved the following email from CS360:

Mistaken Collection Account Info on your Credit Report

Dear Michael,

Since Friday 2/17/17, Transunion reports on Credit Karma have been mistakenly identifying Collection Accounts as regular Accounts. These reports are showing “0 Collection Accounts” on your credit report but the Collection Accounts are still being reported under the regular “Accounts” section.

We are working diligently to correct any “Results” on our website (collectionshield360.com) which have been caused in error by these incorrect Credit Karma reports. Your actual Transunion Credit Reports & Scores have not been affected by this error, it is only temporarily affecting how it is being displayed on Credit Karma.

If your Credit Report was scheduled to be reviewed by Collection Shield 360 since 2/17/17, it will be delayed a few days until the issue is fixed so we can provide and process your accurate credit report information.

Thank you for your patience.

Best regards,

The Collection Shield 360 Team

at this point I have not sent out the letters and I am glad they made the notification quickly verifying that in fact they will begin reviewing the account to sue PRA shortly.

THere are other posts about that drama but the short version is that it is bogus and they are intentionally harming my credit knowing they are in violation of the law and of the Consent Decree they signed with the CFPB/

even if it was a legit collection they have been violating the law by reporting it as an open banking account with them as the creditor instead of as a collection account with them as the CA/Debt buyer and about a dozen other factual problems between EQ and TU hard copy reports.

The CRA's could not have actually verified anything using the eOscar system, instead relying on PRA to tell the truth which the CRA's know they don't particularly since the Consent Decree and the massive fine PRA has had to pay.

I have learned my lesson. from now on ONLY printed copies of my credit report from the CRA's and I will only communicate / send disputes ONLY in writing via certied mail return receipt required. From now on, the disputes will be handwritten (ugh) to force them to have to read the complaint individually instead of running it through an optical scanner and having an algorithm rate it.

this should only be necessary if CS360 does not sue them, but for anything else including my free annual credit reports it is through the mails for ME!

Starting Score: EQ 628 | TU 643 | EXP 618
Fico 8 12/22/16: EQ 658 | TU 682 | EXP 721
Next Goal:        700's across the board
Credit Karma:   EQ 554 | TU 551
CK 12/22/2016: EQ 637 | TU 637
6 REPLIES 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma misreporting TU collections data according to CS360

The same exact thing happened to me. It's weird...
Message 2 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The misreporting of collections by CK appears to be a side-show, and is not the result of reporting per se by the debt collector.

Issues of asserted misreporting of certain factors by PRA, such as the debt being an installment loan with them, are first subject to dispute.

If they verify, you can then pursue by way of civil action.

It is then up to the court to evaluate the reasonableness of their verification of the reporting.

Are you working on bringing a civil complaint to get the issues resolved?

As an aside, if the debt is legit, then resolution of any dispute/civil action would relate only to the correction of that part of their reporting.

It would not require deletion of the entire collection.

Did your dispute include assertion of any inaccuracy of the debt/collection per se that would then mandate deletion of the entire collection?

Message 3 of 7
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

Robert,

The short answer to your questions

a) Are you working on bringing a civil complaint to get the issues resolved?

B) Did your dispute include assertion of any inaccuracy of the debt/collection per se that would then mandate deletion of the entire collection?

is that at this time the only assertions or disputes "I" have personally filed is the original online dispute through TU, EQ and EXP. Only EXP removed the account. It was the "it is not my account" which seemed the correct and truthful statement based on the online options. I have since learned better.

I do not know what CS360 sent them. They do not provide the client (me) a copy of what they send.

AS for B) Once the kerfuffle over the TU misreporting to CK is settled CS360 will be 'reviewing' my case. When I signed up I agreed to NOT do anything until they told me to or if they could not resolve/sue on my behalf. If it comes out to CS360 turning the case back to me I will be carefullly constructing my dispute to make it clear they need to delete due to untruthful and innacurate reporting, specific harms to me, and violation of their Consent Decree. 

In this event I suspect my correct path (since i don't know what CS360 wrote to them) is to send the CRA a dispute letter based on their template shown here between the snips:

---------------------snip----------------------------

[Your Name]

[Your Street Address]

[Your City, Your State Your Zip]

Phone Number: [Your Phone #]

Date of Birth: [Your Date of Birth, e.g., 12/05/1985 ]

SSN: [Your Full Social Security Number– E.g., 012-55-4444 ]

[Name -from Credit Bureau Table on instructions, e.g. TransUnion LLC, Consumer Dispute Center ]

[Address 1 -from Credit Bureau Table on instructions, e.g. P.O. Box 2000 ]

[Address 2 -from Credit Bureau Table on instructions, e.g Chester, PA 19022 ]

RE: Letter to Remove Inaccurate Credit Information:

To Whom It May Concern:

I reviewed a copy of my credit report and found the following item to be an error. See the attached copy of my credit report. The error has been highlighted. Here as follows is the item in error:

Collection Agency: [Name of the Collection Agency – e.g., Portfolio Recovery Services]

Original Creditor:  [Name of the Original Creditor – e.g., Chase Credit Card]

Balance:                  [Balance – from the Credit Report, e.g., $422 ]

Account Number: [Account Number of the Collection Accounts – from the Credit Report (if available)]

Open Date:            [Open Date of the collection account – from the Credit Report, e.g., 03/01/2016]

[ Basis of Dispute – E.g.,  I never had an account with this creditor and I do not owe this debt. (Include any reasons for disputing this account.) ]

By the provisions of the Fair Credit Reporting Act, I demand that these items be investigated and removed from my report. It is my understanding that you will recheck these items with the creditor who has posted them. Please remove any information that the creditor cannot verify. I understand that under 15 U.S.C. Sec. 1681i(a), you must complete this reinvestigation within 30 days of receipt of this letter.

----------------snip-----------------------------

CS360 says to use this template and that seems to indicate they sent a verification demand to PRA and bascially PRA blew them off.

Once this is done and sent I will dig into the proper "next" steps to make sure I dot my i's and cross my t's.

As you will read in the long version I have had Chase pull an image of the check from CAP 1 showing the return of my security deposit. I will include that to the CRA.

I believe I will assert a couple, but not all, of the factual reporting errors in their account.

I will be handwriting the letter to make sure it does not readily get optically scanned and processed by a machine algorithm, forcing a human to read it. Yes that is manipulative, but considering time contraints and what I assume to productivity schedule demands it might just cause the reviewer to say "to heck with this" and delete the account. This would force PRA to resubmit which then gives me more opportunity to catch more errors.

I will send all communication CMRRR and I will have my documents notarized just to add a level of officiousness to them. basically I mean business. If I have to, I will file suit personally  and discovery will be a joy to me if PRA even bothers to show up.

The long version is below and it has specific details and timelines if anyone is interested. If not it is pretty boring.

=========long version from here to end of the post=======================

The account is not a valid collection account. The history of it is as follows. The CS360 info is near the bottom.

Jan 1, 2000 I was told I had less than three months to live. I closed all credit, loan and debt accounts, sold all property, liquidated everything and put in a trust. I did not want my daughter to be caught in financial garbage after my death. My FICO scores at that time were in the 780’s-800’s.

For the next 10 years the doctors bounced the prognosis between dying in a week to living for a couple decades. I was in and out of hospitals monthly for most of that. Private insurance and the VA covered all bills. No medial debt accrued.

Nov 2010 I no longer looked like a skeleton wearing an oversized fur coat, and decided to get back to living and to heck with the docs and the cancer.

I applied for a secured card as I had ZERO credit history at this point, good or bad.

Cap 1 secured, $250 deposit plus fee to start was opened in Dec 2010.

August 14, 2011 my docs said I was back to dying and would not last two months, even with the surgeries and medications.

Sept 2011 Hurricane Isaac destroyed my home, took the roof right off and destroyed everything I owned, including my car in the garage.

Oct 1 2011 I went in to the local Cap 1 branch and closed the account.

Dec 2011, the first week, I got my deposit back and deposited in my chase checking account. (note: I have the check image, Chase had to dig it out of the archives and charged me $50 bucks to do it.)

Skip forward to August 2013. I decided the docs were still insane and totally clueless. I enrolled in another Masters program to regain my certifications and update my tech skills so I could go back to work.

Skip forward to Oct 2016. About to graduate and decide to get my PhD. I also decide I need to get back into life more actively and since my work normally involves extensive travel I knew I needed credit cards to do my job.

I pulled my Free Annual Credit reports on 10/15/2016.

The only entries were the student loans, an erroneous Fed Tax Lien that had been dealt with in 1991 and my VA files had the paperwork showing the error and the VA removing that lien and submitting removal to the Duval County Court it was filed in.

The only other entry was a collection account supposedly from CAP 1 but that said PRA was the credit grantor.

I mistakenly (as I found out later) used the online dispute process for those items and a few addresses that were not mine and couple other pieces of info that were not mine. And I used the ‘its not my account’ reason since that seemed like the correct one.

Within hours TU and EQ “resolved” my disputes, removed the bad addresses and other info but said the PRA account had been “verified”. (note the tax lien was handled separately.)

EXP, 2 days later, fixed bad info and PULLED the PRA account

In Nov 2016 I got a Secured USAA Visa, they reported almost immediately

On Dec. 23 I was able to order a subscription from MyFICO and get my 3B as I now had an open tradeline. The PRA account shows on TU and EQ but there is no entry for my having “disputed” the account and no response saying verified. This is very odd. CK at that time did not show the dispute either but I did not understand the significance of that lack of reporting.

I found CS360 mentioned in the MyFICO forums and did a little research. I signed up and on 12/31/2016 they filed a dispute. And on Feb 20, 2017 this kerfuffle with TU reporting came to my attention.

I do not know what that dispute says or the reason they used. What I do know is that a whole slew of hang-up calls stopped on Jan 5th 2017. In fact I have gone back through my cell phone bills and my Google Voice Account (which is the number they seem to call the most) and have found that from Dec 2015 to Jan 5th 2017, there are 268 hang-up calls identifiable through the Internet as belonging to PRA collections agents. There are an additional 200 unknown or unidentifiable hang-up calls that closely track with the times and dates of the known PRA calls.

The dispute CS360 submitted now appears on CK and CCT and an EQ 3B I just bought, my original one through the online never appeared anywhere. My next MYFICO 3B is not due until March 2017

Not a single letter has been sent to me from PRA.

Not a single voice message has been left for me from PRA

Just a series of hang-calls.

There are about a dozen ‘recordings’ from the known PRA numbers that have 5 or 6 seconds of breathing sounds, like a masher call, then hanging up.

Since the CS360 dispute or verification request or whatever they sent I still not received any mail from PRA. I assumed I would get something but since it is long past their date to respond to me (if the CS360 letter was supposed to respond to me and I  am  not sure it was) I now am waiting to see what CS360 says their next step is once the TU reporting kerfuffle is corrected.

The long and short of this is the account is NOT mine. There may be someone with a similar name who had a Cap 1 account, and considering all the addresses I had removed it might have been one of them. But CAP 1 would not have sent me my deposit back if I owed them money. They also had my new address and so did the Post Office. I have been at that same address since the storm.

Furthermore, this account was past its SOL when it was first reported on my credit reports.

It is reported incorrectly, specifically on each report it showed/shows on, the Date Opened is different, the Pay Status says Collection Account. On one report it is reported as an Open account with a Balance due and that PRA is my Banking creditor (like they are the OC)

On another report it is listed as a Closed Account that is OPEN, Pay Status in Collection, Account type is Factoring account and that PRA is the OC. On both accounts they report that within 30 days of their “open” date was the Date of First Major Delinquency as one report puts it, which is 4 years past the DoFD. Oddly One of the reports has it delinquent before it was “opened”

While minor reporting errors are not necessarily a legitimate reason to expect the report to be pulled, the cumulative effect is that PRA is masquerading as the OC and is reporting changes to the account, that it has a revolving balance and that they (PRA) have a contractual banking agreement with me. They presented the CRA with a clear statement that they “verified” the account was accurate, yet they could not have considering the errors and differences between the reports.

AT this time I am going through the 2015 Consent Decree and marking the behaviors relative to my account that they specifically agreed to stop. I am quite sure that the CFPB will not be amused at seeing documented proof of PRA intentionally ignoring the ruling of the Consent Decree.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have the same issue with CK right now, checked my status of removed accounts on monday, I am working with a credit repair co, and CK TU report shows the same issue of collections showing new and open in the accounts section when they used to be in the collections section closed. I went to my crc chat site and asked about it, they said that according to their records everything is as it should be and it will be reviewed further when they get my updated reports. I also have credit wise and wells fargo id theft which will notify me of any serious changes. Neither of those have any changes. I think it is just CK and reporting.

Message 5 of 7
nolamike
Frequent Contributor

nikjames,

glad you posted. I read yours and went to CK to look more closely.

It is kind of weird.

On the main screen if I click collections, the PRA is gone from TU.

If i look at the TU report itself, the new format under PD (past due) shows 1 account past due and it is the PRA collection account. It also shows on the Collection Button that there is one account in collections and it is the PRA. Then the actual entry says it is Open-Deragatory as Account Status but Payment status is Collection/charge off.

Up until now I was thinking it just completely dropped off, but NO it is just in an AFU reporting status. I now know what to check when it is "fixed" so thank you

Mike

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No problem!! I am glad I could help someone being so new to this. LOL. I am looking forward to sharing experiences and advice!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.