cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma score over 100 points higher than bank pull!! What gives?

tag
MzB807

Credit Karma score over 100 points higher than bank pull!! What gives?

Hello! I've been reading the boards for awhile and I've noticed that most people's Credit Karma scores are somewhere near their actual scores. I searched all over the internet and most people complain that Credit Karma reports a much lower score than their actual score. Well I was very unpleasantly surprised when I had my credit pulled by a bank and my scores were over 100 points lower. Originally the Credit Karma score was closer to my actual scores, but I cleared up some debts and paid my credit card down from 76% utilization to around 30%. A few days later I checked and my Equifax- CK score jumped 95 points. I was ecstatic only to be disappointed later. 

I wonder why my CK score is so much higher than the real score when most people's are lower.  My Quizzle AND Credit Sesame scores are also higher than the real scores but not as drastically as CK.

Has anyone else experienced such an inaccurate inflated score? I cancelled my ScoreSense account because they, too were way off. *sigh*

Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Karma score over 100 points higher than bank pull!! What gives?

Yes, My CK scores are about 70 points higher than all 3 of my FICO scores. I've been using CK for months to monitor my credit and when CK recently switched to I believe the vantage 3.0 scoring system that is when I saw a HUGE difference between my FICO scores and CK. I don't use CK to monitor my scores because no lender uses that system they are really good for monitoring your credit report and I get CK alerts before my FICO alerts when something changes on my report.

Message 2 of 16
MzB807

That makes sense. I will do the same. Thanks for your reply. 

Message 3 of 16
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Yes, My CK scores are about 70 points higher than all 3 of my FICO scores. I've been using CK for months to monitor my credit and when CK recently switched to I believe the vantage 3.0 scoring system that is when I saw a HUGE difference between my FICO scores and CK. I don't use CK to monitor my scores because no lender uses that system they are really good for monitoring your credit report and I get CK alerts before my FICO alerts when something changes on my report.

Actually there are a few lenders who do use the Vantage score in making lending decisions so its not a completely irrelevant score.

Message 4 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

My CK FAKOs are much lower than my FICOs.  My MyFico scores are just about in line with the scores I've seen from HPs.

Message 5 of 16
MzB807

@gdale6 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Actually there are a few lenders who do use the Vantage score in making lending decisions so its not a completely irrelevant score.

I noticed that when the CK site changed, in the FAQs they stated that they've started to use the Vantage model. I realize CK is a (highly advertised) free site, but I wish they wouldn't use the Vantage model if not many lenders are using it. But it's free so I'll accept whatever info they're willing to share. Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 16
MzB807

@Anonymous wrote:

My CK FAKOs are much lower than my FICOs.  My MyFico scores are just about in line with the scores I've seen from HPs.

Yes, your experience is what I'd read over and over from others. That's why I was so unpleasantly surprised when my CK FAKO was over 100 HIGHER than the real deal. Smiley Sad

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

yeah, I'm basically monitoring and working on my credit to get a mortgage so I just disregard CK scores and I know the mortgage company probably won't use the FICO 08 scores either so hopefully whatever score they pull ends up being good! I just started understanding this whole credit score game and thanks to this site i've learned a lot.

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Free is always awesome, but the $25 per month I'm paying MyFico for score monitoring is well worth it.  I am critical of everything I do because I know when I screw up I've got a negative alert coming.  Plus it's encouraging to see the little 4 and 5 point increases in my scores as my accounts report as paid as agreed each month. The last thing you want is to think you're in a good position and have a lender pull a different (lower) number.

Message 9 of 16
MzB807

@Anonymous wrote:

Free is always awesome, but the $25 per month I'm paying MyFico for score monitoring is well worth it.  I am critical of everything I do because I know when I screw up I've got a negative alert coming.  Plus it's encouraging to see the little 4 and 5 point increases in my scores as my accounts report as paid as agreed each month. The last thing you want is to think you're in a good position and have a lender pull a different (lower) number.

Which is exactly what happened to me. I plan to subscibe to the myFICO monitoring soon!

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.