Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Nightmare - How to proceed?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Nightmare - How to proceed?

I do daily pulls through Credit Check Monitoring.  This service is offered through USAA and lets me view my three credit reports.  I noticed my score for Experian dropped 25 points and after looking through the Experian report, noticed a big problem.  I have a new judgement reporting through RAB Performance Recoveries.  I'm not sure what to do at this point, but this is really going to hurt me.  I'm not sure why it even made it to court, let alone a judgement status on my credit report since I paid it over two weeks prior to the court date and the obviously incompetent paralegal stated that it wouldn't make it to court.  What would be my course of action for this?  Should I goodwill RAB on this or the attorney that took it to court?  This is becoming a real nightmare as I'll take one step forward then go two steps back.
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Nightmare - How to proceed?

This is not a goodwill situation - if you paid it before court then I don't see how they got a judgment and you can probably get this vacated.  More info needed.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Basically I was served mid March.  I paid the law firm at the end of March and was told this would satisfy the account.  The court date was for Apr. 18th.  A few days later, I receive something from the courts saying the case was ruled in favor of the plaintiff.  Several days after that I received an order of satisfaction.  But this should have never made it to the court at all as I settled prior to the court date.  I think it's time to talk to an attorney.

Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Another thing that really makes me angry too is this literally popped up on my Experian report today, hasn't hit Equifax or Transunion yet but this was ruled on back in April!

Message 4 of 16
Booner72
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Basically I was served mid March.  I paid the law firm at the end of March and was told this would satisfy the account.  The court date was for Apr. 18th.  A few days later, I receive something from the courts saying the case was ruled in favor of the plaintiff.  Several days after that I received an order of satisfaction.  But this should have never made it to the court at all as I settled prior to the court date.  I think it's time to talk to an attorney.

Since you received something from the courts saying the case was ruled in favor of the plantiff, it sounds to me like it's legit and I'm not sure there is much you can do now. Certainly you will want to dispute this immediately saying it is "satisfied" and then the credit report will update to that status.  I did that when I paid my judgment off in may and it only took about a week for the credit report bureaus to update.

You're right it should never have gone to court - but it did and too bad you didn't know so you could have shown up, shown the judge it was paid, and then there would not have been a ruling. 

This sucks and I'm sorry this happened!  They got their money - why did they have to do this?

The biggest irritation on my judgment situation, and it has nothing to do with any of this, is that the judgment I have is from DH's medical bills.  The judgment was only on his TU not the others. (it was on my TU and EQ)  When I disputed TU for him to update as satisfied -TU DELETED IT on his report!!  I'm happy for him, and us, but irritated I'm stuck w/ it. 

Message 5 of 16
Booner72
Senior Contributor

PS:  The person who reported this is a lowlife "business" that prowls for public records at courthouses and sells them to the CRA's.   Your creditor/attorney did not report it. If you write to TU they will have to tell you the name/info of the person/business that reported this information to them.

Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is already reflecting as "satisfied".  I am just so **ssed they took it to court after it was paid.  It's like they snuck one in on me.  I can understand if I paid a day or two prior to the court date and this happened but we are talking over two weeks.  And by them telling me by paying this will void the court date just so I wouldn't show up, it really is deceptive on their part.  We are in the process of building a house right now and were supposed to settle Oct/Nov. and now this pretty much snuffs that out.  I have already been in touch with an attorney, hopefully there is something that can be done.

Message 7 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Booner72 wrote:

PS:  The person who reported this is a lowlife "business" that prowls for public records at courthouses and sells them to the CRA's.   Your creditor/attorney did not report it. If you write to TU they will have to tell you the name/info of the person/business that reported this information to them.

Very interesting, that is something I didn't know but I'd rather not know who did it.

Message 8 of 16
Booner72
Senior Contributor

You might want to know who did it if that can help you get it off your reports.  This is infuriating!  It might not be a dealbreaker for your house, just a setback.

Message 9 of 16
AndySoCal
Valued Contributor

Since was reeported to the bureau(s) mostly likely it was the court who is reporting the judgment.. Get you Experian credit report for Annualcredit reports.com and it should tell you who is reporting the judgement.  The courts have accounts with the bureau to do the reporting of legal items the bureau do not buy this information.

FICO Scores XPN v8 802 V2 831 (SDFCU) TUC 803 v8 EFX 807 (10/2023)
Discover 09/90 19,000, JCPenney 10/2008 4,700 US Bank Cash 12,000 Citibank Custom Cash 5/2015 11,100 State Dept. FCU 15,000 06/2023 , 02/2024 Redstone FCU Signature VISA 10,000 Banking: Ally Bank Credit Unions: Lafayette FCU Fortera FCU State Department FCU Pelican CU

Pelican State CU Redstone FCU

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.