Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One- help/advice needed

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One- help/advice needed

Hoping someone can help here... I'm in the process of cleaning up my credit and Credit One Bank is a major thorn in my side. Here's my situation... I have three lates reporting from them when I had not used the card in ages...it had actually been frozen since I had lost the card and told them I wasn't willing to pay $20 for a replacement card. These lates are totally random and I had stopped receiving statements from them ages ago (probably around 2009). I was not aware of any payments due and hadn't made any as a result. All other months report as okay. Should there not have been many lates as opposed to a couple of random 30 day lates had there been a balance on my card? I can't imagine they would have forgiven this out of the kindness of their hearts. I just called them to have these late payments removed from my account and the "gentleman" that I spoke with was extremely rude. He said I had online access and I should have been able to view my statement at any time, blah blah. What they are reporting is correct and they will not adjust anything. What is my recourse here? Should I write a gw letter in hopes that I get someone less argumentative and nasty to read it or should I just dispute this directly with the CRAs? Thanks for any and all advice!
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit One- help/advice needed

You should never dispute information unless you have basis for asserting that it is inaccurate.  Aside from being an improper dispute, it will place a dispute flag on your CR, thus screwing up your scoring until the dispute is resolved.

Additionally, by disputing, the creditor will be required to conduct an investigation of the information and report back to the CRA.

Having dealt with a frivolous dispute is not likely to improve your chances of future good-will on their part.

Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks so much! I guess I'll try my luck with gw letters.
Message 3 of 12
Austrausky
Established Member

I had good luck with a gw request to Credit One, so don't hesitate.  They have a special team set aside for reviewing gw requests and escalated cases.  I also have some great contact info that I will PM you.

Current cards: Venture $6,500 | QuickSilver” $3,400 | “Discover $2,000
Current Scores: TU 641 / EQ 638 / EX 640
Message 4 of 12
RocketChick
New Contributor

@Austrausky could you pm me that contact info also please?
Message 5 of 12
Austrausky
Established Member

Just sent it to you @RocketChick

Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 6 of 12
rycoop
New Contributor

Can you PM me that contact info as well... Please. Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 12
Austrausky
Established Member

@rycoop -- done and done!

Message 8 of 12
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

You should never dispute information unless you have basis for asserting that it is inaccurate.  Aside from being an improper dispute, it will place a dispute flag on your CR, thus screwing up your scoring until the dispute is resolved.

Additionally, by disputing, the creditor will be required to conduct an investigation of the information and report back to the CRA.

Having dealt with a frivolous dispute is not likely to improve your chances of future good-will on their part.

+1  A lot of people are quick to jump on the dispute with the CRA.  Unless you have documented just cause, this is definitely not the way to go.  Try with the creditor first.  It could save you some headaches down the road.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 12
Cher6476
Established Member

@Austrausky, would you mind sending me that info as well? I would really appreciate it. Thanks in advance!
Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.