Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One refuses to provide balance

tag
Ebonie

Credit One refuses to provide balance

Hello all,

I got a card through Credit One back in 2005 when I was young and excited that anyone would give me credit. I enlisted in the USMC in 2006, broke, got discharged for medical in 2007, and couldnt get a job because of it. Needless to say Credit One and my other 4 credit cards went unpaid. I was finally able to get a job in 2009 and resumed making small payments here and there. In about 2010 I tryed a debt management company. All my other creditors excepted the terms except Credit One, stating they only worked with one, very lesser known and questionable, debt company. So I went through the company that they said they worked with, only for them to reject that company too saying that they would not accept any terms unless the account was brought current. If I could have brought it current then I wouldnt have needed the debt management. So I just continued to make payments that I could.

Fast forward to today, I have a stable job and have paid off 2 of my original 5 credit cards. By next month I will have the other 2 paid off. My issue with Credit One is I have no idea what my balance is.While all my other cards (even in collections) report on my credit a monthly payment summary, Credit One stopped reporting on my credit in 2011 even tho I have sent them payments. I have called several times and each time spent 1.5-2 hours on the phone being transfered from one place to another and noone will tell me my balance. Once I finally spoke to one person who said they would put in a request to have my blance and payment history mailed, that was 3 months ago.

I did a credit dispute hoping that would force them to at least update the balance, no go.

I spoke to a manager and pointed out that they were obviously recieving my payments as they are promptly drafted out of my account. They said they forward any payments to the collection company. I asked why they were accepting and processing payments for an account that they have no idea what the balance is nor, according to them, do they hold and also why no payments were reflected on my credit report. Of course there was no answer to that. The payments are made out to them so they are the only ones who can cash it.

I have no collection accounts on my credit for Credit One.I thought about sending a letter with a check demanding a payment history, if they cash the check then they can't say they didnt see the letter.

Is there a letter or any way that I can demand a payment/balance history? This will be the last thing on my credit that I have to take care of.

Any help appreciated

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit One refuses to provide balance

They have a statutory requirement under FCRA 623(a)(2), once having reported information to a CRA, to timely update that reporting so as to reflect its current accuracy.

You have made them aware of the inaccuracy, so the ball was in their court to timely update.  It appears they have chosen to ignore their responsibility.

Send them a direct dispute under FCRA 623(a)(8), with the basis being the inaccuracy in the currrent balance, and their failure to have complied with section 623(a)(2).

They must investigate and respond within 30 days.

Any verification they might provide is required to be supported by a reasonable investigation of the accuracy of the disputed information, so include copies of proofs of payment that they have not unpdated with the CRAs.  If they ignore your documentation and simply verify, that would clearly be basis for challenging the reasonableness of whatever investigation they may have conducted, and thus a formal complaint to the CFPB.

Message 2 of 3
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit One refuses to provide balance

I just put Robert on my Christmas card list......
My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.