Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One reporting a fraudulent card to collections

tag
monsi
New Visitor

Credit One reporting a fraudulent card to collections

In July of 2012, I received a Credit One credit card in the mail, claiming I had applied for it. 

I immediately called the company and told them that I had not applied for the card. 

I was told no police report would be necessary, and it could be canceled before activated, eliminating the $94 annual fee. 

In the months following, I heard nothing from them, and assumed it was closed, until it showed on my credit report.

I called several more times over the next year, until last month (7/2013), each time being advised the as of 10/3/2012, the "investigation was completed" and I was not found responsible for any card activity. 

Still, it remained on my report, and so finally, this month (August 2013), I opened I dispute with the credit bureaus. 

Now, it is being reported that in 10/2012, rather than being closed without and recognized as a fraudulent account, my account was charged off to a collection agency.

We are currently closing on our first home, and this will keep us from doing so as it has severely impacted my credit (I have an otherwise perfect payment history).

When I called Credit One today, they told me that their notes indicated what I had been told previously, that it was closed and no fault of mine, but I cannot seem to get any help in proving this! I cannot get a letter, or have them report again. 

How can I get this corrected??

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit One reporting a fraudulent card to collections

Message 2 of 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit One reporting a fraudulent card to collections

Welcome to the forums.

For starters I would send a copy of your CR with that account on it to Credit One billing department or dispute department if they have one and tell them it needs to be removed.

If that doesn't work, send them a direct dispute.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.