Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Protection Association - Help Please

tag
Judilynn
Established Member

Credit Protection Association - Help Please

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -

On Friday, I called CPA for the second time to see if they would PFD a Brighthouse collection. I explained what I wanted to do and the rep told me that they would delete it.  I asked her several times to clarify that it would be deleted, not just shown a s a paid collection and she said yes.  When I asked her if I could get that in writing, she changed her story and said they would note it paid in full and then I could ask the bureaus to delete.  I told her that wouldn't help me and asked why she had said she could do it.  She didn't answer, just kept saying that I could pay it and then request that it be deleted.  I told her that I wanted to talk to Brighthouse to see if I could resolve it with them - she said she was going to turn me in for not paying and drop my score another 120 points by Monday.

Can they do this?  I never refused to pay, just said that I wanted to talk to Brighthouse again.  I've filed a complaint with CFPB - should I do anything else?  I'm scared I'm going to get a score watch alert Monday that my score has dropped a 100 points.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Protection Association - Help Please

@Judilynn wrote:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated -

On Friday, I called CPA for the second time to see if they would PFD a Brighthouse collection. I explained what I wanted to do and the rep told me that they would delete it.  I asked her several times to clarify that it would be deleted, not just shown a s a paid collection and she said yes.  When I asked her if I could get that in writing, she changed her story and said they would note it paid in full and then I could ask the bureaus to delete.  I told her that wouldn't help me and asked why she had said she could do it.  She didn't answer, just kept saying that I could pay it and then request that it be deleted.  I told her that I wanted to talk to Brighthouse to see if I could resolve it with them - she said she was going to turn me in for not paying and drop my score another 120 points by Monday.

Can they do this?  I never refused to pay, just said that I wanted to talk to Brighthouse again.  I've filed a complaint with CFPB - should I do anything else?  I'm scared I'm going to get a score watch alert Monday that my score has dropped a 100 points.

They will most likely not put a PFD in writing as it is looked at by the industry as something that should not be done. As far as dropping your score if it already has been reported and is reporting every month there will be no additional drop in score. Since you have already filed with the CFPB there is nothing else for you to do at this point but wait for their response. Good luck Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 3
Judilynn
Established Member

Re: Credit Protection Association - Help Please

Hi:

Thanks for replying Smiley Happy  I had a very easy time doing a pfd with Portfolio Recovery.  My fear is that if the rep lies and says I refused to pay, which I did not do, that she can put something else on my credit report.    I have reported to CFPB and am hoping they can help.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.