Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Protection Association/Mediacom

tag
flashflamingo
Established Member

Credit Protection Association/Mediacom

Back in college, my roommates didn't return the Mediacom equipment. Eventually, I was able to get the equipment back from the roommates and returned it myself. However, there is a Credit Protection Association collections from Mediacom for $78 on my account. I tried to dispute this via Transunion but it came back as verified. I called Mediacom and they have no record of me owing them a balance. I have the Mediacom customer service chat log to prove this conversation. 

I'm moving for work soon. I will need to rectify this somehow before applying for apartments. Should I either a) find a way to dispute it again or b) just pay it so it says "paid in full."

Message 1 of 22
21 REPLIES 21
starry1
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Protection Association/Mediacom

Did you DV the collection agency?

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 2 of 22
flashflamingo
Established Member

Yes, I DV'd CPA in November. It came back as verified, but Mediacom has nothing about me anymore. I'm also curious as to why there is still a charge when I returned the equipment!

Message 3 of 22
starry1
Valued Contributor

Then try a pfd, its only $78.

Starting Score: 11/29/12 TU 527; EQ 565; EX 564 fako - bk7 dc'd 2/15/13
Current Score: 1/22/15 TU 645; EQ 605; EX 633 New goal 675
Cap1 sec $1k (SD) / Fingerhut $2k / Flagship $12k / cashRewards $12k / NavChek $15k / Amazon $2k / Von Maur $1k / Firestone $2.2k / BCU $3k / NFL $1k / QS1 $750 / Target $400 / PPSC $800 / Conoco $700 (last app 09/29/14)
Message 4 of 22
CarlyK82
New Contributor

CPA is one tough puppy to crack (I have found in my experience), when it comes to trying to get them to PFD or anything.

Officially in the garden...for like, EVER (or at least a really long time)

Starting Score: TU: 636 EQ: ?? EX: ??
Current Score:TU: 641 EQ: 643 EX: ??
Goal Score: 700s Across the Board

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

They reported the information, and thus are required, if the accuracy of their reporting is disputed, to verify its accuracy.

You can thus file a direct dispute with them under FCRA 623(A)(8), PROVIDED you have basis for asserting inaccuracy of their reporting.

If you have legitimate basis for dispute, they must investigate and report the results.  If unable to verify, they must delete.

Therein lies the rub.  If their reporting is accurate, they could dismiss any direct dispute as lacking sufficient basis to conduct an investigation of the accuracy.

So they would not be required to conduct any review, period.

I would give a direct dispute a shot, and hope they dont choose to dismiss it without any need to investigate.

Message 6 of 22
flashflamingo
Established Member

I ended up having the CPA account removed! I paid the account over the phone in full. I explained my situation with my college roommates and wanting to have a fresh start after graduate school. I was extraordinarily nice to the customer service representative and she seemed to understand my situation? I checked my report(s) and they were gone 4 days later. I'm still surprised.

Message 7 of 22
cwwatts1202
Established Contributor

I got CPA to delete for me. Paid June 7th, emailed yesterday, got a response today and they agreed to delete. They said they're going to tell the CRA's the account was reported in error and to delete immediately. Want the email??

Message 8 of 22
peepers
Frequent Contributor

I would LOVE an email address...please? Smiley Happy    This is one of a couple baddies left and I'd like to negotiate a PFD.  Thanks so much!

AMEX Green charge NPSL | NFCU Cashrewards Visa Sig $25,000 | NFCU Navcheck $15,000 | AMEX Everyday $15,000 | Discover IT $19,000 | Amex BCP $18,000 | Cap1 Quicksilver $5000 | Firestone $2,400 I Amex Oasis Optima (recovery card) $500 (closed July 2014)
MyFICO: TU 780, EQ 785 EX 776 Discover TU FICO 780. Rebuilt from 500's....closed on home May 2015!

Message 9 of 22
Focker69
Regular Contributor

Can someone please email me this as well? 

Hoping to hit 700 soon!
Message 10 of 22
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.