Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Question

tag
karrieu

Credit Question

All

I am new here and am trying to find my way around.

Have a couple of questions that I hope aren't stupid. I am trying to get my credit back up to par. I have a couple of charge offs. Can I still contact the company and make good on those accounts? And if so will that bring my score up any?

Thanks

Karrie
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
HoldingOntoHope
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Question

You will find your best advice in the Rebuilding Your Credit Forum. But in any event it is going to make a difference whether the company still owns the debt or sold the debt to a collection agency. Just because you get a letter from a collection agency does not mean they own the debt. Charge off is simply an accounting term meaning they have decided they will not get paid and have removed it from their receivables and possibly taken a tax write off on the debt.

Your ultimate goal in clearing up any delinquent debt should be to get the negative account removed from your credit report or the negative listings (late payments, etc.) removed from the reporting trade line. We call this Pay for Delete. If you post the relevant information in the Rebuilding forum (What company, how much, how old, etc.) you will get a lot of help. You are definitely in the right place to overcome your past credit issues and build a solid credit future through knowledge and experience. Welcome to the forums.Smiley Wink

Best financial advice I ever got: "Just imagine what an adult would do and do that."

Starting Score: 500's
Current Score: EQ 701 (FICO) TU 721 (FICO) EX 715 (Quizzle)
Goal Score: 760 ALL

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge

Message 2 of 3
karrieu

Re: Credit Question

Thank you so much for the info. I'll head on over there now.

Smiley Happy

Karrie
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.