Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Rebuilding After IdentityTheft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Rebuilding After IdentityTheft

Hello Im long term reader of forum but this is my first post, all advice is welcome!

Im currently rebuilding my credit after i went to purchase a vehicle and discover I was a victim of identity theft. I had mulitple collection accounts from cellular companies and other utility companys reporting negative. I went through the proper FTC steps and all accounts  have been removed. At this point im in the process of starting to build trade lines that a will on my report. Im currently have my own a company I take home salary 155k a year, however my goal is to start investing in real estate this year as  I currently own no property. My goal is to get around 15k - 30k in unsecured on my credit lines on my credit report rather it be revolving or installment loans. All scores and reports via Creditchecktotal

Exp: 640

3 Inq: 2 are over a year old

Wisdom Financials: 6 months, 1 Late In Oct

-Open Date 05/01/2016

-60 Months

-Begining Balance: $22,495

-Current Balance: $21,927

-Monthly Payment: $660

-Rate: 22%

Thoughts: Extreme bad loan, Lender very strict got a late payment because I had flood in my aparment  and payment was short a $100 dollars charged me almost $100 in late fees, account is now current. I am currently sharing my car with my girlfriend, however she is buying a new vehicle in the next two weeks, I spoke to the dealer about trading in my car to get rid of the loan. I was wold be able to do that with no money down as she has pre approval with capital one 25k at 15% ( still not ideal) but this would make the payments $580 a month she will pay half bring mycar expense down and the loan paid off.

US Department of Education: 7 yerars, 7monhs

-Open Date: 08/01/2010

-Closed Date: 09/01/2010

-Begining Balance: $0 (unsure why)

-Closed Balance: $0

-Paid Satisfactory 

Discover AU (account closed): 8 years

-Open Date: 04/01/2009

-Closed Date: 11/01/2016

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Highest Balance: $7,425

-Monthly Payment: $35

-Closed Balance $0

TU: 719

2 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Closed Balance $0

EQ: No Score

5 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

My girlfriend also add me to her citi card as a AU 9k limit 0% 3 its statement date was dec 1, but hasnt posted on any of my reports. My questions where should I apply next? Also are my goals obtainable 15- 30k in credit cards or loans? Should I wait to see if the au post or shoud I start applying a now ? Please all advice is welcome.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
tufa4311
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Rebuilding After IdentityTheft

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello Im long term reader of forum but this is my first post, all advice is welcome!

Im currently rebuilding my credit after i went to purchase a vehicle and discover I was a victim of identity theft. I had mulitple collection accounts from cellular companies and other utility companys reporting negative. I went through the proper FTC steps and all accounts  have been removed. At this point im in the process of starting to build trade lines that a will on my report. Im currently have my own a company I take home salary 155k a year, however my goal is to start investing in real estate this year as  I currently own no property. My goal is to get around 15k - 30k in unsecured on my credit lines on my credit report rather it be revolving or installment loans. All scores and reports via Creditchecktotal

-Open Date 05/01/2016

-60 Months

Thoughts: Extreme bad loan, Lender very strict got a late payment because I had flood in my aparment  and payment was short a $100 dollars charged me almost $100 in late fees, account is now current. I am currently sharing my car with my girlfriend, however she is buying a new vehicle in the next two weeks, I spoke to the dealer about trading in my car to get rid of the loan. I was wold be able to do that with no money down as she has pre approval with capital one 25k at 15% ( still not ideal) but this would make the payments $580 a month she will pay half bring mycar expense down and the loan paid off.

-Paid Satisfactory 

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Closed Balance $0

2 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Closed Balance $0

5 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

My girlfriend also add me to her citi card as a AU 9k limit 0% 3 its statement date was dec 1, but hasnt posted on any of my reports. My questions where should I apply next? Also are my goals obtainable 15- 30k in credit cards or loans? Should I wait to see if the au post or shoud I start applying a now ? Please all advice is welcome.

I'm not following - if all the accounts from the identity theft were removed what "credit" are you rebuilding? Once the accounts related to the identity theft were removed your credit history would have gone back to what it was prior to the identity theft (plus any time that has gone by and any legit changes made) which unless those legit changes were drastic would have brought you back to or around the credit score you had prior to the identity theft. So....what "tradelines" are you in the process of rebuilding in relation to the identity theft?

Next, looks like other than a huge loan with very poor rates and 1 late payment your goal here is to simply gain additional credit? Why 15-30K in credit - is there a specifc reason you chose these amounts?

796 TU FICO 08 (08/2018)
758 TU FICO 08 (01/12/2016)
753 TU FICO 08 (11/21/2015)
740: EQ Score Power (Beacon 5.0) FICO 04 (01/23/2015)
755 TU FICO 08 (01/21/2015)
652 TU Lender Pull (06/10/2014)
665 TU FICO 08 (05/21/2014)
Goal: 800+
Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@tufa4311 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

-Open Date 05/01/2016

-60 Months

-Paid Satisfactory 

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Closed Balance $0

2 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

-Credit Limit $10,300

-Closed Balance $0

5 inq

-Paid Satisfactory 

I'm not following - if all the accounts from the identity theft were removed what "credit" are you rebuilding? Once the accounts related to the identity theft were removed your credit history would have gone back to what it was prior to the identity theft (plus any time that has gone by and any legit changes made) which unless those legit changes were drastic would have brought you back to or around the credit score you had prior to the identity theft. So....what "tradelines" are you in the process of rebuilding in relation to the identity theft?

Next, looks like other than a huge loan with very poor rates and 1 late payment your goal here is to simply gain additional credit? Why 15-30K in credit - is there a specifc reason you chose these amounts?

I never had much credit prior to the theft just student loans. I was just left with several collection accounts after occurred, I guess Im not really rebuilding at this point just looking to establish some more posting tradelines.I say 15- 30k because i will use that money to start my real estate company and be able to pay it back comfortable   within 3 months time.    

Message 3 of 4
805orbust
Valued Contributor

OK as a side note if you're gonna need to use 15-30k in credit for this endeavor that means your available  limits will have to be in the range of 60-120k to avoid tanking your scores while you build your new business. I would take a deep breath and sit down, write up a plan for the business so that you'll know exactly what is required. You can do this but must plan carefully. I would search the forum for topics like "utilization" or the credit cards and business credit section.  I'd strongly suggest against going gangbusters.

Smiley Wink Good luck!!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.