Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Rebuilding Guidance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Rebuilding Guidance

Any and all help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. As of now my Fico 8 scores are EQ 545, TU 542, EX 538 and I have just under $11K in total debt. 

There are currently 4 accounts in collection for a total of $1200, I have written letters to pay off the debt for 25% of the current collection. 

Almost $6k of my total debt is in a student loan. I just hit my 5th year as a teacher which allows me to apply for loan forgiveness, I have had 2 colleagues do this and both had their debt forgiven in less than 4 months. Fingers crossed on that one. 

Lastly and where I need the most counseling is how to pay down my two credit cards. The first is a CapOne Premium opened in 09/12 currently with a balance of $1665, limit of $1800 and an interest rate of 22.9%.  The second card is my Credit Union card opened in 07/06 currently with a balance of $1485, limit of $3500 and an interest rate of 8.9%.

I am looking to devote $300-400 per month in repayments and wondered how much I should contribute to each card. Also would you suggest alleviating some of the debt on the higher interest card with the lower one?

Ideally I would like to have at least one more report to help build my credit but I am not sure I am currently ready to do that. I don't want another credit card with a low limit that I will more than likely not use long term. I guess my only other option would be a secured loan through my CU.

Again I thank everyone for the help, at this point I don't really have a credit score goal, my goal is to be as close to debt free as possible by the end of the calendar year.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Rebuilding Guidance

@Anonymous wrote:

Any and all help you can provide would be greatly appreciated. As of now my Fico 8 scores are EQ 545, TU 542, EX 538 and I have just under $11K in total debt. 

There are currently 4 accounts in collection for a total of $1200, I have written letters to pay off the debt for 25% of the current collection. 

Almost $6k of my total debt is in a student loan. I just hit my 5th year as a teacher which allows me to apply for loan forgiveness, I have had 2 colleagues do this and both had their debt forgiven in less than 4 months. Fingers crossed on that one. 

Lastly and where I need the most counseling is how to pay down my two credit cards. The first is a CapOne Premium opened in 09/12 currently with a balance of $1665, limit of $1800 and an interest rate of 22.9%.  The second card is my Credit Union card opened in 07/06 currently with a balance of $1485, limit of $3500 and an interest rate of 8.9%.

I am looking to devote $300-400 per month in repayments and wondered how much I should contribute to each card. Also would you suggest alleviating some of the debt on the higher interest card with the lower one?

Ideally I would like to have at least one more report to help build my credit but I am not sure I am currently ready to do that. I don't want another credit card with a low limit that I will more than likely not use long term. I guess my only other option would be a secured loan through my CU.

Again I thank everyone for the help, at this point I don't really have a credit score goal, my goal is to be as close to debt free as possible by the end of the calendar year.

Put all of your extra payments towards the Cap One card as its using more of its limit and its a higher interest rate. When its get to about $1K, thats when I would balance transfer it to your other card.

Apply for a second Cap One card after you get the balance tranferred. I'd suggest the QS1 rewards card. Sure, it will be a low limit initially, but if you use it a decent amount and make good sized payments, it will grow quickly. My wifes scores are similar to yours, she got her second Cap One card (QS1) with a starting limit of $500, and got it increased to $1500 by the third statement. Credit Steps should raise that to $2K in another 2 months. A secured loan is not really going to help much, scorewise. It will help a little, but not as much as getting that third revolving account. Thats not saying don't do it, just that you really should do both for maximum score boost.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.