cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Rebuilding Newbie

tag

Credit Rebuilding Newbie

I apologize if this post already exists somewhere. Frankly, there are so many... and I tried to sift through them for hours finding something specific to my situation.

So--

I am new to trying to rebuild my credit. Just pulled my first credit report and it is terrible. Nothing is a suprise, but I didn't know it was that bad. Now that I have graduated and gotten a full-time job, I would like to pay these debts off. I don't need to validate the debt. They are mine. I'm not trying to cheat anyone, I believe in paying what I owe. With so many different collectors mailing and calling me, I'm not sure how to go about paying things off. My worst fear is to write a check to someone and they don't apply it to my balance/take it off my credit.

I have three badies... with Portfolio Recovery, LVNV Funding, and Midland Credit Management. How do I go about paying them? I've called the original creditors and they won't deal with me at all. Sad, really. Has anyone ever had a decent experience with these "second-hand" companies? Everytime I do a web search I see nightmare stories of money being paid but not applied to the debt. I see their contact information on my report and I want to contact them, I just would like to know what to expect.

Please advise!

Also, a few other random questions:

1. I often get those "settle now for 60% of what you owe" letters in the mail. Should I take advantage of those, or is that just a gimmick and I'll just end up paying the total anyway?

2. Is it better that I wait til I have the full amount they are requesting, or make a payment plan?

3. Will they remove a judgement against me if I pay it off in full, or are those here to stay? They sent them to a city I lived in while in college and I was never present to respond to them. They just gave them to the person that occupied my apartment last. I didn't find out until I pulled my report.

4. A student loan that I pay on time has reported a delinquency on my credit. I didn't have a job for a few months, but I have been paying them consistently for over a year now. Don't they have to take that off.... or can I get (ask) them to take that off?

Thank you for your help! It is GREATLY appreciated. I really just want to pay all of this stuff off and put it behind me.

Current Equifax: 606

Goal: 700

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
750orbust
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Rebuilding Newbie

If getting the maximum score boost is your goal start with the accounts added most recent on your CR. Since you're not intending to dispute, gladly accept their settlement offers just keep record of your payment. Try to save up the money to PIF before contacting the CA and then ask if/what they are willing to settle for in exchange for immediate payment. Try to avoid payment plans as a promise to pay (payment plan) can reset the SOL and if you default on those payments they can sue. Accept any settlement offers they offer and KINDLY ask if they would be willing to do a PFD, if not GW them constantly until one reaches someone who is humane enough to delete the accounts for you.
I've dealt with Portfolio Recovery but not within the SOL and stupid me (before I discovered these forums) did make payment arrangements with them for a settlement amount. So far it's been painless but like I said earlier I have inadvertently reset the SOL and if I miss any payments I could potentially face legal ramifications so I really have to be very careful for the next few months and make sure I get all these payments made as agreed. My experience with them hasn't been bad, yours shouldn't be either as you are not intending to dispute the debts and you just want to get them paid.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.