Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Action Plan, Please Help

tag
juliefrog30
New Visitor

Credit Repair Action Plan, Please Help

Ok, I'm new to this game and need a few pointers. Thank you to everyone who reads/replies to my questions. Experience is invaluable! 

I have 8 (yes, eight) negative accounts listed on my credit reports. Each one is from a variety of credit card charge-offs. They are all from 2008 and each one has been sold to legit CA's. 

I want to do the right thing and pay these debts, however, I hate knowing that these CA's are making money off of me (or anyone else). I plan to tackle all eight of my negatives with lump sum payments via money order or cashiers check. I would prefer to settle the debts with CA's for hopefully around 25%. 

I understand that all correspondences should be in writing and sent certified mail. My questions lie in what happens AFTER I pay? What proof do need from them before I send the payment? If I am able to settle for reduced amounts will they still show a balance or will they be listed as paid/settled? I'm not concerned with DV's or PFD's, I just want to pay, improve my rating, then move on to the next.

Thanks

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Repair Action Plan, Please Help

Paying them will not improve your credit rating per FICO. Smiley Sad  A $0 balance CA is equally as bad as one with a $10,000 balance. I'd aim for PFDs.

Message 2 of 6
Nik2010
Valued Member

Agreed.  Unfortunately, paying the CA only will just change their reporting to a $0 balance.  The only way to improve your score would be to get rid of the tradeline by successful DV or a PFD.

Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 704
Goal Score: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 3 of 6
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

You have to keep in mind that it is not a quick fix. It does take time and a lot of letters and stamps. PFDs are worth the effort but remember, do not be demanding but, rather, be nice as you are asking for a favor so to speak.
Message 4 of 6
juliefrog30
New Visitor

So, this brings two new questions. 

1) Would I be just as well off to be patient and let these items 'fall off' next year? I'm not an any rush to boost my score.

2) If I start sending DV and PFD letters am I at any risk of having these items renewed and not falling off as expected? From everything I have read on other posts most these agencies are tough to deal with and typically won't PFD and I have little hope that they can't verify.

Thanks for the replies!

Message 5 of 6
juliefrog30
New Visitor

One more question.

If I am successful with the PFD's is it possible to have the OC's remove their lines as well or do I just have to suck it up and deal with those?

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.