cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Agencies - Can they help?

tag
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Agencies - Can they help?

Just to add to what everyone else has said - if you do it yourself then you're giving yourself the education and the tools to keep your finances, reports, and scores on the straight and narrow in the future as well.  Something you won't get through a repair agency.
Message Edited by Boldilocks on 10-14-2009 11:39 PM
Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 11 of 17
StartinOver
Frequent Contributor

I am just getting serious about credit repair myself. Though I have tried for years, I have only accomplished a little. Yesterday, I was approached by a CRA. My response to him after he quoted the $599 and I said I did not have that kind of money. He responded I could work it out. I responded that there was no incentive for him to finish what he may start, as he would get his money no matter how much or how little he did. He immediately started backing out of the conversation and apologized for bothering me. He said he had other clients waiting for him.

So, I got an idea. The money I could have been tempted to part with, why don't I set aside that money as though I am paying myself for credit repair? I will earn $10 an hour for time spent on repairing my credit (such as letter writing, etc.), and I will pay myself $2 an hour for research that is documented.  I will take the earned money and open a savings account. When it reaches enough, I will start paying off the little debts.

This might be wishful thinking, but at least it keeps me from considering the idea of paying someone else to do what I can do for free! 

He did go over a few things, though what I remember the most is him saying that my medical collections can be taken off, as though they were not properly done or something. I know it has nothing to do with the dates as one of them is about 4-5 years old, and the other is about one month old. Does anyone have any idea of what he might be seeing? I have been reading on these forums for the last 4 hours, but have seen nothing regarding this issue. Thanks for your help!

4/25/11 FICO: EQ 761....EX 770.....TU 744
3/6/2011 FICO: EQ 710... EX 718... TU 710
09/09 FICO: EQ: 525
Message 12 of 17
Boldilocks
Established Contributor

That's a great idea about paying yourself!  Remember to put in expense receipts for all those CMRRR letters, LOL!

He was probably talking about the HIPAA process, by which many people (not mine, though, it's not a guaranteed thing) are able to have paid medical collections removed - you do have to be prepared to pay them in full.  We can't talk about it on this forum, but if you google "whychat hipaa" that'll get you on the right track.

I'm sure if you post more details about your bad and good accounts you'll be able to get a lot more feedback here, and help get those scores nudging up fast!

Current scores: EQ 736, TU - 732
Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I love this idea StartinOver!!!

I am actually going to do this - starting with this week! So far today, I have written 2 emails to NCO and 2 letters to NCO!

This is work, but I am hoping that it pays off.

I guess because I have never dealt with this type of agency before, I was a bit leery.

Going to give the letters to NCO another shot and see if this helps my TU report.

Message 14 of 17
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Hi Circe221!

Please let me know how the letters go with NCO!  I have an account with them that was originally with BoA.  What kind of letters are you witing?  GW letters? 

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had sent GW letters/emails to NCO back in August, and the collection did come off my EQ report almost immediately!

But, it is still on my TU report, which is the main thorn in my side right now. I also put in an inquiry throught the TU website so that hopefully by the time they investigate NCO will have updated and it will be gone!

Message 16 of 17
Creditobsessed12
Frequent Contributor

Wowthat is great!!  I just wrote my letter!  Smiley Happy

Hopefully I will get the same results!

How does the original issuer show on your credit report?

Does it show as paid or CO?

11/30/14 EQ 545 TU 573 EX 602 01/15 EQ 545 TU 586 EX 589
02/15 EQ 643 TU 627 EX 669 03/05/2015 EQ 708 TU 744 EX 707
05/2017 EQ 659 TU 676 EX 683
Goal: 700s across the board Smiley Happy
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.