Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Agencies

tag
edcb
Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Agencies

I've been using them for awhile.  They did a really good job for about six months.

Then it just went....bleh. 

So I guess it is time for me to cancel Lex and take on the last few demons myself.  In my spare time.  (Laughing...you have no idea!)

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 11 of 43
LadyLeah
Contributor

I guess my only question is: reviewing your scores, it appears that you've made quite a bit of progress. Clearly you've done something right, and I assume you did it yourself? If so, why spend $100/mo now to have someone do what you are capable of doing yourself?

The folks here are so knowledgeable, and I have yet to see anyone pose a question that someone here couldn't either answer or direct the person to the answer. I just don't see it as a worthwhile investment. 

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 12 of 43
stillworking
New Contributor

Everything they could do, you could do yourself.  I did it; fixed errors, contacted collection agencies, disputed bills, made payment for deletion letters ect. This is a great place for advice and we share our experiences; successes and failures without judgement.  My score was 622 in Aug, by Nov. my score was 790. You can do it; start by getting your free reports and going over them with a fine tooth comb; getting the numbers and contacting any creditors, make arrangements. It is possible. 

Starting Score: 525
Current Score: FICO EQ 790, TU 696, EX 683
Goal Score:
700+ across the board

Message 13 of 43
edcb
Contributor

The reason I see doing it is for people who have more money than they have time.

I'm in a situation where I work AND I am working on an advanced degree- full time.  AND I have a three year old.  Was it realistic that I get down in the gritty and do all of that on my own?  Not really.  Was it worth the $100/month, for a time, for something to take the reigns and do at least some of the work for me?  Absolutely!

Realistically if I hadn't hired Lexington what would have happened is that taking care of my credit would have gone to the back burner and that is NOT what I wanted to have happen.  I just checked my account tonight and they just took my auto-pay so I'm in for another month.  (This was the first month where nothing really happened in my favor.)  Perhaps it is a good thing because if it happens a second month I will KNOW it is time to stop paying them.

I'm truly happy with my investment under my circumstances.  Could I have done it myself?  Absolutely, under other circumstances.  But given my circumstances I truly feel like they were the best option and it might be time for me to take over the reigns for the last few months.  I'm grateful not only for having so much less to do but also the confidence that it CAN be done.  That is awesome.

It is easy for others to say, "Don't do that, bad decision, do it yourself."  But you are the one who knows YOU.  Will you really get it done?  Do you have time?  Is it worth the stress?  That's your call.

In the garden until October 2015!

Journey began 12/13
My wallet: Cap1 Journey (12/13) $4,800 - Cap1 QS (3/14) $1,500 - Chase Freedom (5/14) $3,000 - Chase CSP (12/14) $8,000

Closed on my primary home and income property in December 2014!
Message 14 of 43
LadyLeah
Contributor

I don't think it's a "bad decision" at all, and I would never say anything like that. 

Having done a lot of work over the past 2 months (almost), I can honestly say that it has taken me no more than 15 minutes a day, maybe 3-4 days a week. The only thing that took longer was clearing up my lien (but BOY was it worth it! No credit repair agency could have fixed that for me anyway). I probably spent a total of 3 hours over a course of about 2 weeks getting rid of the lien, but not only will it come off of my report, I also got a full refund plus interest. 

I have a full time job, I volunteer 30 hrs a week, and I'm a full time student. So I totally understand when you simply don't have the time to do the work. And if that's the case, then go for it. But I think a lot of this stuff takes less time than people realize. A phone call here, letter there, and a whole lot of waiting. That was my experience. 

Whatever you decide, best wishes to you.

Starting Score: 529 EQ | 551 TU | 614 EX | 579 TU FAKO as of 1/12/14
Current Score: 621 EQ | ??? TU | 614 EX | 618 TU FAKO as of 6/23/14
Short Term Goal Score: 650 across the board by 12/31/14

Long Term Goal Score: 720+ across the board by 6/30/15

Message 15 of 43
kd081708
Regular Contributor

Thanks to everyone for the advice! I guess I was being a little lazy and wanted someone to do everything for me. I think what I will do is try to do it myself. After I receive my responses or come across any issues, I will post in the forums for some guidance. That way I can take the $100 and put it towards something else......lol

Starting Score: EQ 450 EX 498 TU 470
Current Score:
EQ 574 EX 581 TU 572 Barclay 596 Merrick 612
Goal Score:
600 all by 06/30/2014

I want to try one of these agencies if they can help, but the up front and monthly cost is too much for something that can't be even semi-guaranteed and can be a slow, money-draining process. If they had a free month, option to not pay until after the first deletion, or a money back option; I'd be more willing.

But I did find this. I don't know if anyone agrees, and I've seen a few people on here say they had success with Blue Sky. They all just charge so much, and I've done some disputing on my own; though I haven't tried any written disputes, PFDs, or Goodwills 

Modcut to remove Credit Repair sites. 

Shogun

Message 17 of 43
SLO805
Frequent Contributor

@Sonic98 wrote:

I want to try one of these agencies if they can help, but the up front and monthly cost is too much for something that can't be even semi-guaranteed and can be a slow, money-draining process. If they had a free month, option to not pay until after the first deletion, or a money back option; I'd be more willing.

But I did find this. I don't know if anyone agrees, and I've seen a few people on here say they had success with Blue Sky. They all just charge so much, and I've done some disputing on my own; though I haven't tried any written disputes, PFDs, or Goodwills 

Modcut

Im with SkyBlue just started and my initial disputes etc are going out. 90day guarantee or full refund sounds good to me lol   Modcut

Im literally the biggest procrastinator ever. I started looking to repair my credit 03/2013 through a local guy. Then decided i can do this myself...11months later i didnt do anything.

60$ month is less than i spend on drinks every other night or coffee a week or lunch for myself and gf. Figure its better money spent for me personally.

Gardening 25JAN16 - 25JUL16

Message 18 of 43
kd081708
Regular Contributor

I was thinking of canceling...however I know I wont follow through.im glad I didnt. I got an email this morning letting me know that something was deleted!!!!

Starting Score: EQ 450 EX 498 TU 470
Current Score:
EQ 574 EX 581 TU 572 Barclay 596 Merrick 612
Goal Score:
600 all by 06/30/2014

I isgned up with Skyblue back when they were 49.95 in october. In 6 months my score went up about 40-50pts. They removed thousands worth of things, I get annoyed when people say 'do it yourself' Yeah, I have been a member for years, tried every dispute template and backdoor number I could find and had nothing removed ever. Could I change my own oil, or do my own hair? Sure, but I want it done RIGHT and well, it doesnt hurt to pay someone to do it that way

Message 20 of 43
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.