Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Agency for deleting of baddies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair Agency for deleting of baddies

What up.  So about a year ago now, I signed up with Park View Law (a credit repair agency).  It was the usual credit repair agency stitch.  Send them a monthly fee, they "work hard" to get negatives deleted off my account.  I figured I'll shell out a few hundred bucks and see what all this is about.  I had a total of 11 negative items on my report:

- Chap7 Bankcruptcy public record from Dec '08

- 9 accounts that got discharged due to bankrutpcy

- Amazon Store Card account with 60 day late payment (this is the biggest bummer because it's about 1.5 years old and it was really as simple as me forgetting to pay my bill online; the card has since been PIF by me and closed by issuer)

To my surprise, Park View Law got five negatives deleted off my account.  I put the repair agency service on hold after about six months of help.  All I have left now is the Amazon store card with the 60 late payment indicator (I have no leverage since I paid the card off...can't ask for a PFD), four accounts that were discharged by BR and the BR public record itself.

I know that if I got the Amazon store card removed, it'll be the biggest bang for buck since it's the most recent (everything else is about 5-6 years old). But what I'm wondering now is:

• Is it worth it to hire a Credit Repair Agency to try to delete these last few accounts?
  • Is there any point in attempting to delete the BR discharged accounts?
  • How would I go about attempting to delete the remaining accounts (including the BR) if I did it myself?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
SunriseEarth
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Repair Agency for deleting of baddies

@Anonymous wrote:

What up.  So about a year ago now, I signed up with Park View Law (a credit repair agency).  It was the usual credit repair agency stitch.  Send them a monthly fee, they "work hard" to get negatives deleted off my account.  I figured I'll shell out a few hundred bucks and see what all this is about.  I had a total of 11 negative items on my report:

- Chap7 Bankcruptcy public record from Dec '08

- 9 accounts that got discharged due to bankrutpcy

- Amazon Store Card account with 60 day late payment (this is the biggest bummer because it's about 1.5 years old and it was really as simple as me forgetting to pay my bill online; the card has since been PIF by me and closed by issuer)

To my surprise, Park View Law got five negatives deleted off my account.  I put the repair agency service on hold after about six months of help.  All I have left now is the Amazon store card with the 60 late payment indicator (I have no leverage since I paid the card off...can't ask for a PFD), four accounts that were discharged by BR and the BR public record itself.

I know that if I got the Amazon store card removed, it'll be the biggest bang for buck since it's the most recent (everything else is about 5-6 years old). But what I'm wondering now is:

• Is it worth it to hire a Credit Repair Agency to try to delete these last few accounts?
  • Is there any point in attempting to delete the BR discharged accounts?
  • How would I go about attempting to delete the remaining accounts (including the BR) if I did it myself?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Generally, the community here doesn't recommend credit repair agencies.   This is because all they can really do on your behalf is dispute with the CRAs.   You can do that for free.   While they did give you results, you likely would have had the same results yourself through disputes.

As for the 60 day late, I think sending GW letters is your best course of action.   

Start: 619 (TU08, 9/2013) | Current: 809 (TU08, 3/05/24)
BofA CCR WMC $75000 | AMEX Cash Magnet $64000 | Discover IT $46000 | Disney Premier VS $43600 | Venmo VS $30000 | NFCU More Rewards AMEX $25000 | Macy's AMEX $25000 Store $25000 | Cash+ VS $25000 | Altitude Go VS $25000 | Synchrony Premier $24,200 | Sony Card VS $23750 | GS Apple Card WEMC $22000 | WF Active Cash VS $18,000 | Jared Gold Card $16000 | FNBO Evergreen VS $15000 | Citi Custom Cash MC $14600 | Target MC $14500 | BMO Harris Cash Back MC $14000 | Amazon VS $12000 | Freedom Flex WEMC $10000 | Belk MC $10000 | Wayfair MC $4500 ~~
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Search  Good will letters in the forum. There is a wealth  of knowledge about this. You do not need an agency for something  that you can do yourself.  A good will letter  is more personal coming from you then from an agency.  Good luck!

Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Are their errors in their reporting, or is their reporting correct and you are looking for ways to remove accurate reporting?

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@RobertEG wrote:

Are their errors in their reporting, or is their reporting correct and you are looking for ways to remove accurate reporting?

There are no errors.  It's all correct information (as far as I can remember).  I'm just trying to remove accurate reporting that is negatively affecting my score.  Specifically a paid off closed account with Amazon that has a 60 day late indicator on it from about 1.5 years ago. 

Message 5 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

In that event, your approach is to seek their good-will deletions.

A request for their GW is personal, based on your own circumstances.

In order for a credit repair organization (CRO) to send a sold GW request, they must get the reasons from you.

They then become merely a conduit.  You can send a GW request yourself, and it is a lot more personal.

Better yet, personal calls to managment officials often yield better results, and only you can do that.

I dont see much use for a CRO in your situation.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally, You got a great result from the credit repair agency, they got 5 deletion off from your report which its good. People who doesnt want to deal with CA or/OC or doesnt have time to repair themself its good ideas to hire repair agency especially you have good result from them.  Now like other advice you, you can do it yourself and save hundred of dollars by sending GW and being patient. A lot of people doesnt have the time and paitent to wait.  The final decision is up to you, like I said If Im in your shoe and I dont have time Ill hire repair agency.  Getting baddie removed from your file is worth every pennie IMO!!

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.