Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Assistance

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair Assistance

Hi, 

I'm new here, this is my first post. I'm in the process of repairing my credit and started researching and found this site. I was recently denied for an apartment because my credit came back declined so I registered with CK and was surprised at what I saw.

Currently, I have four accounts in collections, neither which belongs rightfully. One is from a consultation with a doctor who advertised free consultations but charged me after the visit and the other is with DirectTV. DirectTV alleged I owe equipment, which isn't true. Unfortunately, I no longer have the receipt that proves I returned the item. Both of these are from 2012. I also have comcast and verizon each showing small a collection.

Then I have several student loans that are showing a delinquent status but I am currently paying two loans, one is on forbearance and only one should be in default. I have two student loans from 2008 that are labeled Collection/Charge-Off. I have two other student loans from 2006 that are listed as closed.

I thought after 7 years they fall off your credit report or have to be removed under the Fair Credit Reporting Act?

I have a BOA cc that is closed but I am currently making payments on it. I've been making payments consequently for two years. It shows 9 missed payments.

I have an Ann Taylor cc that is closed which shows no missed payments on TU but shows one missed payment on EQ. And a chase cc that is open I don't even recall opening that shows a zero balance and no missed payments.

I would appreciate any and all help. Thanks so much!

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Repair Assistance

Student Loans guaranteed by the government dont follow the timelines for the FCRA as fas as how long a derog can remain on file you need to look to the higher education act to get info on them. Any other derog COed account can only stay on file a max of 7.5 yrs from the accounts DoFD. Individual lates in a current account will drop at the 7 year mark until it becomes a total positive account.

Welcome to My Fico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you @gdale6
How do I work on the cable companies and the doctor?
Message 3 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
@Thank you @gdale6
How do I work on the cable companies and the doctor?

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
2. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
3. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

If the cable companies have CAs working for them use steps 1 and 2 above you eliminate 3. If its just the cable companies reporting you want to try to get the PFD with them

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/td-p/2031275

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Example-Letter/td-p/4519

Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

If the student loans are U.S. government insured or guaranteed, the Higher Education Act extended the credit report exclusion periods beyond the normal exclusion periods set wthin FCRA 605(a).  The relevant sections of the Higher Ed Act are designated in the footnote appended to FCRA 605(a).

Basically, the exclusion periods are extended while the debt remains delinquent.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you.
I'm confused, should I do #2 if #1 doesn't work or are you saying to do both for the medical bill? I really don't think I should have to pay for that consultation. Could I report the doctor to the BBB?
Message 6 of 9
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
Thank you.
I'm confused, should I do #2 if #1 doesn't work or are you saying to do both for the medical bill? I really don't think I should have to pay for that consultation. Could I report the doctor to the BBB?

You would do the steps in the order listed for the medical not at the same time, if #1 doesnt work move to #2... If you believe it should be canceled I would first try and work with the doctor directly if you cant get satisfaction that way then file BBB complaint.

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank You for your response.

What should I say to the doctor? I did go in for a consultation that was advertised as free. I never received anything in the mail from the CA. This just posted to my CR this past month. What is the best course of action to dispute this? Should I dispute with the CB's directly or with the CA?

AMERICAN COLLECTIONS ENTERPRI-  Agency Address: 6094-D FRANCONIA ROAD
SES INC
ALEXANDRIA, VA 22310
(703) 719-9403 Date Reported: 08/2015  Date Assigned: 06/2012  Creditor Classification: Medical/Health Care  Creditor Name: STEVEN D MACHT MD  Accounts Number: 10XXXX  Account Owner: Individual Account.  Original Amount Owned: $139  Date of 1 st Delinquency: 07/2011  Balance Date: 08/2015  Balance Owned: $139  Last Payment Date : N/A  Status Date: 08/2015  Status: D - Unpaid  Comments: Medical

Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Help with Medical Debt Collection

After reading some other post, I think I'm going to send a DV letter. Is that a good idea? Below is what I plan to send to the CA today.

I reviewed my credit report and discovered that AMERICAN COLLECTIONS ENTERPRISE appears on my credit report. As a requirement of Fair Debt Collections Practices Act (FDCPA) § 809. Validation of debts, I request that you send me written validation of this debt. In addition, please send me an itemized list of fees.

Please send written validation of this debt to the address below:

Question: Should I list the partial account number listed on the CR?

Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.