cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Companies.. Are they legit?

tag
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Credit Repair Companies.. Are they legit?

I was recently offered by a mortgage/auto broker if I want to get my credit repaired for $450. .He said he does it for all his customers who are credit challenged so that they can get back on their feet. He mentioned that my credit will clear up in about 6 months. I was iffy about the offer so i told him that I will get back to him on that.. I asked him which company will repair my credit and gave me to companies. It was "ICR" or "United Credit Education Services". I dont want to make my credit even worse so I want to ask does anyone heard or know about this or is it a scam and they just want to take my $$$.. Should I invest my $450 for this?

Need your opinion. Thanks in advance... 

Officially a Homeowner 6/1/12

Jun' 2012 EX 737 (thru lender) ; Mar '12 EQ 746; July '12 TU 773

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Repair Companies.. Are they legit?

DeeBee, they can't do anything that you can't do yourself. In fact, they are going to just dispute everything, whether accurate or not. Bad things can happen by disputing accurate information.

Starting Score: 469
Current Score: 846
Goal Score: 850

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

Also, ICR filed bankruptcy and are out of business, as of four or five years ago, I believe.

Message 3 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi DeeBee18, I agree with BirdMan 100%.  You can do it yourself. Please feel free to ask as many questions that you need!!!
Message 4 of 12
DeeBee18
Regular Contributor

Thank you for the info BrydMan and HappyDays... I will definitely gather all my credit report and for sure will ask questions. Im sure I can do it myself instead of paying $450 to those credit repair people.. I just dont know where to start with the process of rebuilding my credit.... I have a few items that are charged off in my report... I will post them in my next message..

Thanks again.. good nite... 

Officially a Homeowner 6/1/12

Jun' 2012 EX 737 (thru lender) ; Mar '12 EQ 746; July '12 TU 773

Chase Freedom - 6.5k; Amex Zync - NPSL; Ashley's GEMB - 5.5k; Barclay's Rewards MC - 1.5k, JCP - 1k; Macys - 2k; Chase Slate - 7k (AU on DH card); US Bank Cash+ - 9.5k
Message 5 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you post the COs or any baddie just remember that we need dates....DOFD/DOLA  and your SOL.

Match the OC  COs with any CA reporting the same debts. Look at EX and TU CR for the drop date...it will red something like.......will remain on your CR until  month/year.  the correct dates will be reported by the OC.........CAs tend to re-age.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

everything i ever heard about credit repair and even debt settlement companies says those are scams

i would not waste my money on those

Message 7 of 12
cobra19
Valued Contributor

Yes, they are legit. Do a search here, I kinda remember a few threads about them last year or something.

But - as is noted above - you can do it yourself.

New York Yankees - 2009 World Series Champions. 27... and counting.....
Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

DeeBee~ Do the work yourself! If there are inaccuracies, you can work on those, and you can certainly send GWs for lates and such. You will learn so much and it will mean more to you that way. This forum is great and everyone is so supportive and full of great advice.
Message 9 of 12
Junejer
Moderator Emeritus

One other thing about the credit repair companies. When they do the blanket dispute (not mine), then any one that comes back verified, will bring forth the baddie to present day from a scoring standpoint. It's just not a good idea to do this. Ex. You had a collection from 5 yrs ago, you dispute it as not mine, and the CRAs verify it as valid. The scoring system makes it "feel" as though the collection just happened. That, however, will not change CRTP or anything. I would personally run away from them like my hair was on fire.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.