Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Companies??

tag
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Companies??

I used Lexington Law for about 8-9 months.  It was pricey, and yes, I suppose they did many things I could have done myself, but it was worth the money for me to pay someone else to do it.

My only gripe about LL is that they'll work on 2-3 items a month at most to keep you on the hook for membership.  Given the price though, it seems pretty fair.

I had an inordinate amount of negatives on my credit reports when I started with them, and they managed to remove quite a few, including several judgments that were inaccurately reported (they're completely gone, I assume, because I had documentation to prove they were paid, yet they were marked unpaid).

As several have already said, yes, you can do it yourself.  You can also mow your own lawn, repair your own drywall, and cut your own hair.  

My experience with Lexington was positive, and when I decided I no longer needed or wanted their services, I stopped.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 11 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JayTee1 wrote:

I used Lexington Law for about 8-9 months.  It was pricey, and yes, I suppose they did many things I could have done myself, but it was worth the money for me to pay someone else to do it.

My only gripe about LL is that they'll work on 2-3 items a month at most to keep you on the hook for membership.  Given the price though, it seems pretty fair.

I had an inordinate amount of negatives on my credit reports when I started with them, and they managed to remove quite a few, including several judgments that were inaccurately reported (they're completely gone, I assume, because I had documentation to prove they were paid, yet they were marked unpaid).

As several have already said, yes, you can do it yourself.  You can also mow your own lawn, repair your own drywall, and cut your own hair.  

My experience with Lexington was positive, and when I decided I no longer needed or wanted their services, I stopped.

they work on 2-3 per report, at a time. During my first month they removed 8 items across all 3 reports, and during the second month (between days 31-62) they removed 4 more things off 1 report, 1 by itself then 3 together. I would drop them now after paying twice, but I kind of want to see if the final baddie drops off the other 2 reports as well.

All in all, it may be worth it or not. As some have mentioned if you are still in debt it might be a better use of your money to get out of debt and do cleanup work yourself.

If you're not in debt, and spending a little bit of money to pay someone else to do something you are totally capable of doing on your own but don't really time to deal with it then they may be something worth looking in to.

Several reviews I've seen said people had trouble cancelling their service, which I have not tried to do yet so maybe they are awful at that point?

Message 12 of 16
JayTee1
Frequent Contributor

I canceled my service with LL by making a simple phone call.  They spent about 30 seconds trying to convince me to stay, I politely declined, and they canceled my account within the hour.  

I may end up using them again to attempt removing a few final bad items on my report which will not fall off until 2018.  Then again, they just may not be removable.

March 2014: Abysmal, low 500s

April 2015: TU 607 | EQ 599 | EX 608
March 2019: TU 717 | EQ 727 | EX 727
Message 13 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

If a credit repair company can get Portfolio Recovery off somebody's reports, then their fee is worth the price. Unless you have some other stubborn creditors on your account, you can do everything yourself with relative ease.

Portfolio is not on my report as a collection but they are lurking with the soft pulls every other day recently.  May I ask why they are so hard to deal with and get things removed? I am sure it's regarding an old debt about 10 years or older.I don't even remember who with.

Message 14 of 16
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

If a credit repair company can get Portfolio Recovery off somebody's reports, then their fee is worth the price. Unless you have some other stubborn creditors on your account, you can do everything yourself with relative ease.

CollectionShield360 got PR off my TU and I got a 42 pt boost. I had 4 collections and now I have none. Didn't spend a dime as their service is free. I'm having an issue with getting the last few off EQ but I think that's more EQ and not the service. For my GWs and such, I did it myself for a long time but I haven't had success on a few straglers so I'm calling in Lexington Law to finish the job. 

If you need credit repair, try it yourself FIRST. CollectionShield360 is free so you aren't losing anything and combined efforts can help you there. Someone like Lexington Law is a last resort or at least for me. My files are almost pristine. TU only have 7 baddies left, EX has 10 and EQ has 14. I was well into the 30s not 6 months ago and most of that was from me working on it myself. I will keep Lexington for MAYBE 2 months and they are getting nixed no matter the results. My scores are high enough to have more than 50k in TLs so I don't NEED the baddies gone so much as I want them gone in time to buy a home in the summer. Worse comes to worse, I don't have to be on the loan so I can wait it out.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 15 of 16
lindsaydruart
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Portfolio is not on my report as a collection but they are lurking with the soft pulls every other day recently.  May I ask why they are so hard to deal with and get things removed? I am sure it's regarding an old debt about 10 years or older.I don't even remember who with.

@Anonymous is a company of vultures. They keep removing and reinserting on my EQ file just to be @#$@#$ about it. They check your credit every day (or at least mine) because they want to be able to call you and tell you to pay them using your Amex or something like that. They want as much information on you as they can so they can use it against you. I DNCed them and will most definitely sue if they contact me. They send me a letter every week though.

Gardening since 12/15/2019. Goal 12/15/2021
FICO 8 as of 12/16/2019 - EQ 602 EX 656 TU 628
Message 16 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.