Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Help, Advice, Anything LOL

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Repair Help, Advice, Anything LOL

Hi everyone,

I am new here and have been researching, reading and getting headache's for weeks about credit repair and how to. I am not proud of any of this but I have been through a loop and without consideration of credit or the need to have credit I have done a number to my credit and need some help getting on track. I am 24 I have 2 kids and a fiance of almost 8 years now. We jumped into life early and made a good amount of mistakes financially.

I have been through my credit report and I am embarrassed but I have alot of stuff I need to get fixed.

(2011)Verizon Bill - $1,181 - Got phones through a third party site, didn't like them and ended up not paying anything now I have this bill.

(2008)AFNI - AT&T - $376 - Lost my job not long after we got them and left the bill.

M J Altman -Hospital Bill - $42

NCO FIN -Hospital Bill - $200

NCO FIN -Hospital Bill - $2,507

Robinson Raegan & Youn - Century Link $136 - This is just recently, we moved and forgot to pay the last bill, I will be contacting them and getting this paid off. It is now in collection.

(2010)Pathfinder Credit Services - $4,575 - I went to school to get my CDL, This is the balance of the Private student loan I got.

(2011)New Horizon Finance Company - $4,497 - Balance of a Repo on my last truck (lost my job, had no choice).

As you can see I am in a mess. I am not sure where to start to get out of this mess. As of now, I have no open accounts. I just need some direction. I wish I could just pay them all off right now but thats not the case.

Any help would be great.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Help, Advice, Anything LOL

The first step is to determine whether what has been reported is accurate.  If not yours or incorrect, then initiate the various dispute or identity theft provisions provided by the FCRA or FDCPA..  In your case, they appear to be accurate, so next steps vary depending upon what has been reported.

For collections, first determine the SOL status of the debt.  Are you still legally obligated to pay?  Next steps will depend upon that obligation.

If you are still within SOL, your option is essentially reduced to paying in exchange for CR deletion.  Possibly a settement for less than the full amount?  If you cannot do so at this time, and the debt is legit, they wont entertain any requests for GW deletion of their reporting while it remains unpaid.

If outside of SOL, your leverage increases due to their lack of ability to use the courts to secure payment.  Maybe settlement offers on those first, when you have the $$?

Absent the ability to pay in exchange for earlier deletion, you wait for the 7 yrs plus 180 days from the DOFD on the OC account for its statutory exclusion due to old age. 

Message 2 of 4
AVeryHappyDad
Valued Member

My experience was that NCO was surprisingly amenable to a PFD, because I was offering full payment for a PFD only.  AFNI told me no over the phone, but removed it anyway, once I paid them, in full.  Your experience may be different though.  I found that in both cases, talking to them and explaining the circumstance that caused the baddie helped alot. 

AMEX Platinum NPSL, NFCU Flagship 25K, NFCU Navchek 15K, Amex Everyday 5K, Chase Freedom 5K, Citi AAdvantage World MC 5K, Barclays USAir 5K, USAA Amex 1K, Cap1 QS 300
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I researched and from what I have found in Florida it is

Contract or written instrument and for mortgage foreclosure: 5 years. F.S.

Libel, slander, or unpaid wages: 2 years.

Judgments: 20
years total and to be a lien on any real property, it has to be re-recorded for
a second time at 10 years.

The limitations period begins from the date
the last element of the cause of action occurred, (95.051). NOTE: The limitation
period is tolled (stopped) for any period during which the debtor is absent from
the state and each time a voluntary payment is made on a debt arising from a
written instrument.

Almost all other actions fall under the 4-year
catch-all limitations period, (F.S. 95.11(3)(p)).

With that being said, I do want to investigate the hospital charges as I am unsure of this, or where it came from. All the other stuff I am aware of and take full responsibility for it.

I should have been more detailed.

If I contact say verizon, and settle at a lower amount should I request it be removed, or just paid in full? Do I need to get the agreement in writing?

Im concerned if I do pay this they will not fix it on my credit report, I know this is going to be a long journey and I made this mess it's time to clean it up. I want to do the right thing and pay this stuff off. Is it safe for me to contact these places one at a time and make arrangments to pay it off, or setup a pay schedule? Im sorry for the stupid questions Im just not sure and my immediate familly including parents have worse credit than me so I don't feel advice from them would be smart.

Ive heard people say, straighten up and let it fall off. But I have also heard people say that collection agencies will continue to pawn it off to another company and it won't come off.

I feel stupid for all the questions and apologise.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.