cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Repair Help

tag
Jetmemphis91

Credit Repair Help

Well I've never had bad credit. My problem was more of just having no credit. Well I'm fine and dandy now. Unfortunately, I'm now trying to take on the task of fixing my mom's credit. She put things off thinking they would fall off in 7 years. Well I'm 22 and been hearing that since I was about 10. So enough BS time to cut to the chase. Could I have some tips on how I should go about advising her? Here are the facts.

• Paid off 7 Negatives on her credit report and now disputing them
  • 3 accounts in good standing but all closed now
  • about 5 inquires since 03/20/2012
  • Equifax score was 617

I was thinking about adding her as an AU on one of my cards without ever giving her a card. Preventing any sort of abuse. Also, a secured CD loan and a secured credit card. I'm not to pleased with my secured card with Capital One so what are some good secured cards that grow with you? Was thinking NFCU or BofA. Any and all opinions (even negative) are appreciated.

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
djc1puno
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Repair Help

bofa, wells, and SDFCU Smiley Happy adding her to your account would benefit her if the account isn't being heavily utilized...and just keep paying that debt would help her out Smiley Happy

GARDEN GOAL: MARCH 2014
LAST APP: 08/20/2013
---=[NORTHBOUND]=---
Message 2 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Is she eligible for nfcu? How? If no question of nfcu eligibility, then plan below might change.

Do you think she has handle on using credit? If not, might not want her to get too much as more ammo to get into problems. Barely any secured cards grow with you. If unsure if she can handle credit, I would add her as AU on best card that doesn't report high balances often. Get any secured card with no af like sdfcu. Don't give her either. Put some monthly charge on both and autopay. Then sd them. In a few months, go for gemb card like Walmart and and sd that. When baddies start dropping and scores rise, then get cli on Walmart and go for higher limit unsecured card with no af. Do the monthly charge and autopay then and then sd. Goal is to get her credit golden so she can do big purchases like auto and home at low rates. Or will she start apping without your knowledge if things get better credit wise? In that case, put extended fraud alerts on credit reports to make harder to apply for new cards. In any case, sign her up for credit karma and have access to credit karma account and Walmart account so you can keep eye on her.
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 3 of 6
Crashem
Valued Contributor

Sorry meant do extended fraud and freeze on credit reports as makes it tough to app without a lot of work first
               LIMITS IN CARD DESCRIPTIONS
Message 4 of 6
asuran

I completely agree. Monthly autopayments are mist. Building positive credit hystory  and keeping the balance low is the key.

Message 5 of 6
FaaastCash
Established Member

Improving your credit is a very critical topic. It is a way for you to educate yourself about it. You must learn to establish a budget that will both help you catch up bills that are behind while sustaining with the regular bills that you have to keep on that path of positive credit repair. A good credit rating can be obtained with the right credit services supplied so make sure not to allow your credit spot to decline from fair to bad.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.