xkingfishx

Credit Repair Question

[ Edited ]

OK.  I'm looking for help and I figured I'd try here.  I'm 28 and I have a few issues with credit.  According to my Experian report, I have 3 negative items.  2 of them are from the same object, one was a silly mistake.  I need some advice:

Negative Items:

- Secured Credit Card - I paid 5/3rd bank 300 dollars for a 300 dollar credit limit card.  I ended up spending near 300 and kind of left it alone (Stupid).  They added fees, said I had a high balance of 527.00 lowered it to 336 and sold it to Asset Acceptance.  I didn't get my 300 deposit back.  - Credit Report Date Opened - 6/1/2005

- Asset Acceptance - This is from the original 5/3rd bank card, they say I owe them 527.00 and have sent me various offers to settle, but from what I have read, I have no real incentive to pay them back, it won't really help my score. - Credit Report Date Opened 12/1/2007

- School Loan - I left to work overseas for 6 months in late 2009/early 2010 and set up consolidation for my school loan, I found out later one hadn't been consolidated, it eventually was 120 days past due, I did consolidate it and now it's current.

Positive Items:

- My dad has a credit card which was in my name listed on my report, it gets paid on time and has a 16k balance.

- I have my own credit card with a 5k balance which I've had for over 2 years and never been late on.

- I have 30k in school loans which I pay on time except for the single instance mentioned above (3 separate accounts)

Bottom line is my score is around a 640, but with the negative items listed, I can't really get any kind of decent financing, my credit card has high interest.  I understand I messed up, but honestly, the 2 items from 5/3rd bank don't make me feel too guilty.  I gave them 300, I spent around 300, they just tacked on fees because I was silly.  I was recommended to try a pay for delete letter, but the negative items drop off in 2012 and 2014 respectively, and I'm scared of starting the clock over on the debts.  Any tips?

Update:  

- Why is the dropoff date different for the 5/3rd debt and the collections debt that ensues, shouldn't it be all the same?

- The original debt was in Kentucky, I live in Texas, the Collector is in Michigan, 5/3rd is in Ohio, which statute of limitations is the correct one?

Mega Contributor
RobertEG

Re: Credit Repair Question

My positive is that the creditors were correct in their actio\ns. 

My comments to your are that I will

"kind of left it alone"

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+