Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Report & possible ID theft

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Report & possible ID theft

Hi, I recently discovered this forum when I finally got up the nerve to clean up my credit. I have pulled all three of my credit reports and got my credit scores. However, after perusing this forum, I learned that those scores are FAKOs. So, I tried signing up here to get my FICO scores. During the verification process, it asked me to verify which bank I received a mortgate loan from and the length of the loan. I have never received any type of loan. This, is not my first time encountering this. I had the hardest time getting my Equifax report because it was also asking me about a loan and where I lived in Florida. (Guesses got me in.) I have never lived in Florida and only visited Daytona Beach twice as a kid. My Transunion report says I lived in Tampa when I've never been there.

Other than the address showing up on Transunion, none of my credit reports show any trace of a loan or any debts that aren't my own.
I am new to all of this so I have no idea of how to proceed. I don't know who the loan was with to dispute it, or what happened as a result of this loan.

Hope someone can give me advice.

Thanks!
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Report & possible ID theft

Sometimes when the CRA's are verifying your identity they trow in something that isnt present.  YOu say that no loans show on your reports thats good.  But you also said that there is an address that is not yours.  Send letter to any cra's that have misinformation address or variation of name or social with copy of drivers liscense ss card and one recent utility bill or bank statement.  In letter ask that the inaccurate iformation be removed and also request they send you a new copy of your report(no Charge) after they have made the corrections and deleted info not associated with you. Send CM RRR because of sensitive material(ss# drivers liscense)and you should be good. Hope that helps!

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the response. I will get on this right away.
Message 3 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

You can alternately proceed by treating it as a potential identity theft issue.

That requires but one thing.... that you are willing to put your statement that you have no recollection of any such account into a sworn statement before a law enforement agency, with the conclusion that if you did not authorize it, then it was most likely the result of identity theft.

You must begin, obviously, by determining who has actually reported any such information to the CRA.  As of yet, it appears that you dont have a copy of your CR actually showing the presence of the information.

Any consumer, apart from the normal request or purchase of a CR, has the right to obtain directly from the CRA any information that has been reported to their credit file by way of a letter under FCRA 609(a).  It has a fee of $11.00, but is a request they are required to fill.

Once you know the identity of a reporting party, and have filed a police report, you can simply send a copy of the police report to the creditor and compel them, under the provisions of FCRA 609(e), to provide all business records in their possession related to the opening or use of the account, permitting you to contest whatever they provide.

You can also send a copy of the police report to the CRA, and compel them to block the information from your credit reports under FCRA 605B. Nothing in the identity theft process involves filing an actual dispute under section 611 or 623(a)(8), so you dont get tied up with the dispute process and a dispute flag.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Imagine you're an identity theif, and you know your target has a thin file  So, you go to the CRA website and try to pull the report, looking for more information . They give you a bunch of questions asking you to validate which one is real data.  Well, if ALL of these items were real then they'd basically be giving the theif new info.  So what they do is they put a lot of fake info n there, and so sometimes the correct answer is "none of the above" because all the choices are fake info.  They do this to minimize the leakage of real info to people who might be identity thieves. 

Message 5 of 7
annielorie
Valued Contributor

Thanks Savvy I thought I basically said that maybe I wasn't clear

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the responses, everyone. I'm not sure which route I'll take for this yet since the address is the only thing actually showing up on any of my reports. I may just dispute that to begin with. Thanks for the advice. This is just the beginning to a long process of rebuilding..
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.