Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Reporting Retraction Request

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Reporting Retraction Request

I have read in several places that you can try using a letter of “goodwill” to have derogatory account information removed from your credit file. I contacted Navient to see what could be done. I explained how I was unaware of payments due, and that I won't let it happen anymore. Here's the response I received from them:

"Thank you for contacting the Office of the Customer Advocate about your credit file. Based on a review of your account under our credit reporting obligations, we are unable to retract information from your credit file as you requested.

What you need to know:

The Fair Credit Reporting Act requires lenders and servicers, such as Navient, who report information to the consumer reporting agencies to do so with accuracy. We have reviewed your account and determined the information we have reported to the consumer reporting agencies is correct. Given the requirements of this law, Navient is restricted from making any “goodwill” removals of accurate reporting.

We understand that this is not the outcome you hoped for and we fully understand why this request is important to you. However, our credit reporting must comply with federal law."

My credit score went down by 116 points. I am noticing that it went down a few hours after I received the letter from them. Am I doing something wrong?

Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.