Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Increase question?

tag
RESSECUP
Regular Contributor

Credit Score Increase question?

I just purchased my FICO score and its currently at 547--I didnt know they used Transunion, I thought Equifax was more reliable.

My question is I have quite a few collections on there most recent was a year ago, im assuming paying these off will increase my score dramatically? I currently have credit cards that are closed but im paying on time and a car note that i pay on time as well.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Score Increase question?

There is a FICO for each of the 3 CRAs.  The consumer cannot buy the EX any longer. 

I am not sure what you mean by more reliable.  The scores are based on what is in each report.

Paying off a collection will not help your score at all.  Paid and unpaid collections are scored the same by FICO.

These would need to be removed for any type of increase.

Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

What about paying off collection debt for long term credit score increase? I have about 4 old collections debts that i just finished settling, would my credit score increase in the near future about 6 months or so from now? Or would need to go the GW letter route and get the accounts removed for any increase?

Message 3 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

I've been curious about this as well.  I know paying a Collection doesn't help, but it would seem logical (I know this is FICO we are talking about) that a 0 balance reporting on a derogatory item would be better than say a 325 dollar balance reporting.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

That is because it factors into your utilization

Message 5 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Gotcha when I noticed it a while back must of been a OC, not a CA account then?

Message 7 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.