Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Rating Dispute

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score Rating Dispute

Has anyone ever heard of a way or of somebody disputing their credit score and getting it changed? My score prior to a new line of credit was 744 and is now 710 after the inquiry and credit line collectivley. The basis behind the drop is that somebody seeking new credit is possibly seeking it due to debt. However I got the credit card to help raise my score faster. I was thinking of disputing with my own basis for the credit and how their basis for droping my score does not apply. Any thoughts?

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Booner72
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Score Rating Dispute

This won't work.

STARTING: 11/24/10 EQ-584 EXP-648 TU04-595
CLOSED FIRST HOME 8/19/11 EQ-630 EXP-691 TU04-653
CURRENT: EQ-701 EXP-??? TU08-720
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

It will be attempted regardless I simply am just drwaing up some ideas to put into it.

Message 3 of 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

+1. FICO scores everyone equally based on info on your CRs.

New accounts, assuming you already had a good mix of credit, most usually will drop your scores. Inquiry not so much. The damage varies based on your credit, impact to your AAoA, change in utilization if it first reports with a balance, etc. Why the drop? It's my understanding that FICO created the formula on the input from lenders. Lenders don't like to see new credit because most (not all) who seek credit are looking to add debt as you mentioned and most who add credit need it which shows a sign of financial weakness. It doesn't consider that maybe your existing cards might need to be replaced due to annual fees or maybe you are stuck with a CC that'll never increase the CL.

Thankfully the new damage is only temporary. Most of the damage will fade over the next 6 months and likely within a year (with all else being equal), there will be no negative ding from this new account.

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

FCRA 609(f)(5)(A) specifically exempts a CRA from investigating any dispute regarding credit scores "developed by another person."  You cant dispute FICO scores with the CRA.

An interesting exception, however, is set forth in FCRA 609(f)(5)(B), which states

"This paragraph shall not apply to a consumer reporting agency that develops or modifies scores that are developed by another person or entity."

Does that mean you can dispute scores that were developed by the CRAs, such as their Vantage scores?

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.