Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score Rise Because of Dispute?

tag
bpohl93
Valued Member

Credit Score Rise Because of Dispute?

So, Midland agreed to delete two accounts that I had paid earlier in the year. I put the dispute in a couple days ago, and today I got a SW notification that the accounts status had changed to "in dispute", but I also noticed that my score had risen by about ten points. Is this normal? They are shown as follows:

Account opened: 5/2009
Description: Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Paid collection

Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0$0
Past due:$0$0
Status:At least 120 days or more than four payments past dueAt least 120 days or more than four payments past due
Last activity:10/1/200810/1/2008
Description:Paid collection
Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Paid collection

Contact: MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT, 8875 Aero Dr Ste 200, San Diego, CA, 921232255
MIDLAND CREDIT MANAGEMENT  (XXXXXX7794)

Account opened: 12/2010
Description: Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Paid collection

Previously reportedNewly reported
Balance:$0$0
Past due:$0$0
Status:At least 120 days or more than four payments past dueAt least 120 days or more than four payments past due
Last activity:10/1/200810/1/2008
Description:Paid collection
Consumer disputes - reinvestigation in process
Paid collection

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Score Rise Because of Dispute?

SW will alert you to credit changes and will often check the score at that moment too. When I first subscribed, I always thought that the credit alert result in the score change, or in your case, the dispute would have led to the 10 points. I learned that this wasn't true when I got an alert that I received 20 points because I added an inquiry. The gain was due to a dropped baddie that SW won't alert you to. In other words, the gain could be caused by almost anything. Now that's not to say that this couldn't be the cause.

In the case of disputes, FICO will ignore certain aspects of OC TLs only. CAs and PRs are not impacted per FICO scoring in a dispute. However, I've seen at least one confirmed example in here where a CA coded itself to mimic an OC (and even factored into util). Is MCM doing this? I dunno. Hard telling. If it were true then the CA is completely being ignored in that extreme example and I'd guess more of a 10 point gain if true. I'd look at the fallback of your util changes, added accounts, a disputed OC, etc.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.