cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score help- going through a divorce (semi long post)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score help- going through a divorce (semi long post)

Hello,

I'm new on the boards/groups so going to give a little background. . I've never had any issues with my credit score (always in the low-mid 700's) until recently. I'm in the middle of a bad divorce. Was  Married for 11 years with 2 small kids (4 & 7) with my youngest being special needs I've  been a stay at home mom for 7 years but currenrly looking for work. I've been an authorized user on my soon to be ex's  credit cards but apparently he has not been paying for 3 months. He has not made a car payment and we are co signed on the car (I drive it). Normally I would not have issues paying for my car but he has also missed 5 alimony/child support payments. In May I was approved for a Citibank Double cash back, Discover card and Chase Slate. 2 cards with $9 credit limit and 1 with $4. 

1. I just received an email from Credit Karma showing my score dropped 140 points with Transunion and Equifax. Its showing late fees, non payment, 30 says past notices)
  2. My soon to be ex said he consolidated all the cards but it is a process but he won't pay them right now. How to I remove myself since I'm assuming this is affecting my score. He refuses to remove me.
  3. Is it possible to negotiate with the car company? I can't risk the car getting repossessed. Its a lease and too early to trade in (15 months remaining)
  4. What can I do to help my score?

Any advice is appareciated! 

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
rmduhon
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Score help- going through a divorce (semi long post)

First, ignore the scores from Credit Karma, they are Vantage 3 scores which very few lenders use. Get your Fico scores from creditchecktotal.com using the 7 day trial. Second, call the credit card companies yourself and have them remove you as an AU. Look into refinancing the car into your name only.
Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.