Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score in the 400's and I'm feeling awful :(

tag
waitingforamiracle
Established Member

Credit Score in the 400's and I'm feeling awful :(

I went from a 700 credit score to now 490 and I'm not sure how or where to begin towards repairing my credit. I separated from my husband 2 years ago because our relationship was becoming extremely dysfunctional and I didn't want to expose my 2 year old son to the disaster we were going through at that time. When I moved out I was only working part time as a school teacher and unfortunately had to let some of my obligations go unpaid which has ultimately affected my credit for the worse. Now 2 years later, I'm divorced though teaching full time and need to get my credit repaired, the thing is I'm not sure where to begin. I have almost 7 charge offs and 4 collection accounts and at this point I'm feeling lost and hopeless. I've considered using a credit repair agency but not clear how beneficial they really are? Please any advice, encouragement or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score in the 400's and I'm feeling awful :(

@waitingforamiracle wrote:

I went from a 700 credit score to now 490 and I'm not sure how or where to begin towards repairing my credit. I separated from my husband 2 years ago because our relationship was becoming extremely disfunctional and I didn't want to expose my 2 year old son to the disaster we were going through at that time. When I moved out I was only working part time as a school teacher and unfortunately had to let some of my obligations go unpaid which has ultimately affected my credit for the worse. Now 2 years later, I'm divorced though teaching full time and need to get my credit repaired, the thing is I'm not sure where to begin. I have almost 7 charge offs and 4 collection accounts and at this point I'm feeling lost and hopeless. I've considered using a credit repair agency but not clear how beneficial they really are? Please any advice, encouragement or help would be greatly appreciatedc. Thanks. 

1. where did you get your scores

2. years of those charge off/collection accounts

3. how many cc you currently have

Message 2 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I went from a 700 credit score to now 490 and I'm not sure how or where to begin towards repairing my credit. I separated from my husband 2 years ago because our relationship was becoming extremely disfunctional and I didn't want to expose my 2 year old son to the disaster we were going through at that time. When I moved out I was only working part time as a school teacher and unfortunately had to let some of my obligations go unpaid which has ultimately affected my credit for the worse. Now 2 years later, I'm divorced though teaching full time and need to get my credit repaired, the thing is I'm not sure where to begin. I have almost 7 charge offs and 4 collection accounts and at this point I'm feeling lost and hopeless. I've considered using a credit repair agency but not clear how beneficial they really are? Please any advice, encouragement or help would be greatly appreciatedc. Thanks. 

First step is to get your reports, which you apparently have done. Second step is to "triage" the damage. Separate them into groups - Charged off accounts that have not gone to collections, Collections that are updating each month, and collections that are dormant (not updated in a year or more).

The first group does the most scoring damage, and has potential to worsen - they can spawn more collection accounts, and judgements. The second group does the maximum damage that collection accounts can do, and the third group does the least amount of damage.

Try to work out repayment plans/settlement agreements with the first group - the priority is to get them settled and reporting a $0 balance. That will result in better score right off, because those balances will not be used in your UTI portion of FICO scores.

The second group items you want to approach each one ONLY if you have the ability to pay in full should they turn very agressive in you negotiations. You want to try to negotiate a PFD if at all possible.

While you are doing all of this you also want to work on establishing new credit. You may have to open a couple of secured credit cards to begin with if you have no current credit accounts at all. I would suggest beginning with Capital One and OpenSky if you need to go that route. Avoid predator lenders like First Premier and Credit One.

Do you have any current credit accounts at all?

Message 3 of 17
waitingforamiracle
Established Member

Hi, thanks for your replies! I got my reports from myfico and all the charge offs and collections are since I separated and divorced. Currently I have 3 credit cards open but completely maxed out, I'm paying them every month though. I know this is going to take time but right now it just feels like this is a huge weight that's not going to ever go away. It really is dreadful and frustrating.
Message 4 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, thanks for your replies! I got my reports from myfico and all the charge offs and collections are since I separated and divorced. Currently I have 3 credit cards open but completely maxed out, I'm paying them every month though. I know this is going to take time but right now it just feels like this is a huge weight that's not going to ever go away. It really is dreadful and frustrating.

Getting those cards paid down is going to be the easiest and fastest way to get your scores up. How big are the limits/balances?

Message 5 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I wouldn't recommend a credit repair agency. I think you just need to do some research (like I have) and figure out the best way to repair. From what I understand, you should first send debt validation letters to all collections agencies. If they do validate, you would send a PFD. Pay for deletion letter asking them to delete from credit if you pay the balance. There's also a GW (Goodwill letter). The GW letter worked for me for a balance I had with a company called Virtuoso Sourcing. It was only one account and it was paid. I did't know anything about a PFD  at the time I paid it, so I tried my luck with a GW letter just asking them to delete it and they did.

Message 6 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would gather your reports from Experian.com. If you choose to only get Experian (that's the one lenders use most from what I gather), it only costs $1 for a week trial. It will include your Experian credit report and your Experian credit score. This one on MyFICO runs about $20 for all 3, but honestly I like Experian better.

Message 7 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't feel hopeless as many of us have experienced similar situations. Look at the positives: you have a FT job and can pay your current debts Smiley Happy

Are your finances in a position where you can make lump sum settlement payments? If so, research the collection agencies on MyFico search and see if any are willing to provide PFD.  

If not, you're in a position where you will need to rebuild slowly. As Norman stated, paying down your current balances will reflect positively on your credit. Just make sure you make monthly payments and don't be late. The quickest way to rebuild is by showing a recent positive payment history and low utilization of your revolving lines.

What are your goals? Are you rebuilding in hopes of purchasing a house? Identifying your goals may help other posters provide remedies to assist you with your needs.

I wish the best for you. Good Luck!

Message 8 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I found this thread for you regarding sample letters.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/PFD-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-PFD-Success-Stories/...

Good luck to you and keep your head up.  You have to be strong for your son now as a single mom.

Message 9 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

Don't be discouraged! My scores were in the low 400s just last September and now mid 600s. (My goal is 800) I just got approved for a mortgage last week and I financed a new car back in March.

You will get there it just takes time, a plan, and being consistent! Start with paying any acts that might be close to going to collections or turned over for judgement. Then plan to pay off debts smallest to largest and work with creditors of getting negative items removed. This is what I did and in less than a year later my scores are basically 200pts higher! Stay on this forum for advice and support. Good Luck!
Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.