Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score in the 400's and I'm feeling awful :(

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score in the 400's and I'm feeling awful :(

Keep your chin up. Things will get better as you begin your journey. My heart goes out to you. You are so brave to come on this forum and post and ask for help. When I was at my worst credit-wise, I couldn't even think about it, much less join a forum like this. You will receive all the help you need here. The forum members are so generous with their knowledge. Good luck to you! Keep us posted as you make and execute your recovery plan! (teacher here, too. :-))

Message 11 of 17
waitingforamiracle
Established Member

Thank you all so much for your kind words of advice and encouragement. My goal is to purchase a home for my son and I in the future so hopefully once I begin to get my credit under control, I'll be able to do that. I'm trying my best to be strong and stay positive Smiley Happy I'll look at my reports again today, start to categorize my charge off's, collections and anything else on there. I'll also start writing those letters mentioned. Once again, thanks! -Sonya

Message 12 of 17
waitingforamiracle
Established Member

Thank you so much for these examples, I'll start reading them and writing my own today. This is really great Smiley Happy

Message 13 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waitingforamiracle wrote:

Thank you so much for these examples, I'll start reading them and writing my own today. This is really great Smiley Happy

Anytime!  Always come back if you need help from anyone in this forum.

Message 14 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was searching on the internet for this subject and came across it.  I understand how exactly you feel.  I have had great credit for my entire life until I lost my job in 2009.  I always had corporate jobs and made a great salary.  I have been working since the layoff in 2009, but I am working as an independent rep.  The dowsnide is that I am making a quarter of what I used to make.  When I lost my job I had a lot of credit card debt to pay back.  I refused to declare bankruptcy and wanted to pay it back myself (sometimes I wonder if I should've just declared bankruptcy back then because of where I am now).  I have paid back more than half of what I owe since then.  I owed $70K, but now owe $29K.  However, the downside is that my credit is shot.  I have one account that charged off in 2009, but it was paid right around the time it was charged off.  I also have a medical bill that was charged off but was paid in full right after it was charged off.  I missed the timing on these.  I also have a few credit card accounts that are teetering on the edge of charging off.  I have worked out payment arrangements with all of tmy credit cards, but I just don't have the income that I used to and I have been struggling to pay the minimum payments.  I too got really down this morning because I checked my credit report and it was 485.  I used to have credit in the upper 600's-700 for most of my life.  I literally almost broke down and cried, but I am trying to stay positive.  I think it is sad that we can go through one little "blip" in our lives and it destroys our credit and possibly job futures.  I have been wanting to look for full-time (non-independent) jobs, but now I am worried they are going to run a credit report and not hire me.  If I have to get a corporate card, I would probably not be approved.  Luckily, I do have some credit cards that are open and that I am paying.  But, the late payments and inability to make some of these credit card payments is killing me. This forum is helping me feel that there is hope.  Thanks for this sounding board.  My goal is to buy a car in a year. 

Message 15 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

@waitingforamiracle wrote:

how are you doing by the way?

Message 16 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started out at the very low 400's at the end of may 2015 and my scores are already in the 620's. I didn't think I would ever get to the mid 400's by 2016, much less the 600's. My husband was in the lower to mid 500's and hasn't really changes since May 2015. I follow the advice from here and he.. Well.. He's Just hard headed! Follow these peoples advice and your sure to be on your way to where your goal is! Good luck and stay positive 😊
Message 17 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.