Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scores Vs. Deletions

tag
monieleazenby
Established Member

Credit Scores Vs. Deletions

If someone can advise me on this question. I was under the impression that if you have a collection account deleted from your credit report this would increase your credit score. Mine on the other hand has not increased. I had a few items deleted a few days ago so I wanted to know if this will increase my credit score or just remain the same.

Please keep in mind that I have no revolving accounts thus far, and only collection accounts and defaulted student loans. Maybe it's because of the baddies on my credit report, when will my credit score begin to increase as these collections are deleted off my credit reports?

I started the new Fingerhut starter account today so I'm hoping after I pay in full my first item (purchase) I will be granted the revolving credit card, I'm hoping maybe a new tradeline will do the trick to increase my score.

Oh boy am I trying but this is just really discouraging for me Smiley Sad

Thanks for your insight

Kind Regards

Monie

Starting Score: 591
Current Score: 480
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
alvon123
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Scores Vs. Deletions

Generally, your score should increase , however that depends on some of the following factors:

How many items did you have deleted?

How old were the accounts that were deleted? 

How many total bad / good  accounts do you have left and what are the ages of those accounts?

also in addition to fingerhut, I would suggest opening at least 2 secured credit card accounts accounts from Cap1, Bank of America or another issuer with low fees. (those secured accounts will help you rebuild / increase your score)

Did you get your scores from this site or another site?

Message 2 of 7
monieleazenby
Established Member

I was declined the credit cards, unless I applied to a regular credit card, what sights are the secured cards found on? I've had my credit score drop  due to inquires so I'm a little reluctant to apply for anything right now.

I have no Good revolving Accounts

Medical Collections Since 09,11,12,13 (20) accounts- Close too $15,000.00

Student Loans Defaults Since 2011 (8) accounts - $11,909

BK Deleted Since 2004 (Deleted) Belonged to someone else

Child Support Since 2003 (Paid) Deleted

Welmart Good Revolving Since 2000- Deleted Belonged to someone else

Penn Foster Collection Since 2013- $742.00 - Deleted after dispute with CA

Not sure if this helps, I'm just hoping at some point my score will increase, due to the fact I have all negative reflections I don't see this happening anytime soon Smiley Sad

I have disputed all of the medical collections as I have no idea if they belong to me because I had someone else's info on my CR. By Jan 27th all results should be in and I will know more or less where I am. The positive side of this is if been informed they will pay to delete the Medical Collections if they are mine. I'm thinking its going to take me roughly about six months to pay it all in full.

My Student loans will be offset at tax time the interest is about 3K so assuming the 10k refunds knock out the majority of it I should have about 4K left on Student Loans which I will then rehab.

What do you recommend hereafter or foresee as my hope in bouncing back from horrible credit?

Monie

Message 3 of 7
baller4life
Super Contributor

You're going to have to add a couple of revolvers to increase your score and build positive history. Try the shopping cart trick at Walmart and Amazon to see if you can get a GE card(it's a soft pull). Bank of America is one of the best secured cards around and it graduates.

Message 4 of 7
monieleazenby
Established Member

Walmart declined me lol where do I apply for the  Bank Of America secured card can I do it online?

I can try amazon but I'm sure they will decline me as well.

Thank you for the feedback. I know I'm headed for along journey ahead of me, but I'm not going to give up and press forward until I'm debit free Smiley Happy

Monie

Message 5 of 7
alvon123
Super Contributor

@baller4life wrote:

You're going to have to add a couple of revolvers to increase your score and build positive history. Try the shopping cart trick at Walmart and Amazon to see if you can get a GE card(it's a soft pull). Bank of America is one of the best secured cards around and it graduates.

+1   There are many secured cards  sites (make sure you see if there are any fees)

https://www.bankofamerica.com/credit-cards/products/secured-credit-card.go

https://www.wellsfargo.com/credit-cards/secured/

https://www.usbank.com/credit-cards/secured-card.html

http://www.capitalone.com/credit-cards/                                 (search for secured cards)

Message 6 of 7
AllThingsRPossible
New Contributor

Not sure if u already apped but thought I'd try to catch u if u hadn't.  If ur current score iis correct and uve had recent hard inq for aping I'd advise u to stop applying immediately. Congrats on ur fingerhut fresh start. I'd work on continuing cleaning up the report before u focus on rebuilding.  If there are any addtl baddies u could PDF or gw do that.  Keep the fh installment opened for 3/4 months before u pay in full.   Ur score will increase! It's not as fast as we would like but it will if u stick to it.  Having those collections off ur report is awesome.  In a month or 2 see where ur at then. u will need positive tl's ...with that said and if u cross 450 u may have to go thru a less desirable secured product. Such as credit one first premier ect. In any case try shopping cart at express vsecret...commenity banks.  Or go to preapproval sites that do a soft pull.  No hp...they stay for 2 yrs and it sucks if ur not approved.  Either way read all u can and I'm sure you'll b in good shape in the next few months!  

Starting Score: 503
Current Score: 667
Goal Score: 650

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.