Shines4u

Credit Union Equity Loan - Charge Off help needed

[ Edited ]

Hi -

I am hoping someone might be able to assist me.  I have been lurking for a while and trying to utilize the advice I have found on this forum.  Two and a half years ago I had to short sell my house in one state after I moved to another state for a job relocation.  My mortgage is reporting as I anticipated, showing I owe a balance of $0 and it shows settled for less than owed.  The EL I had on the home for renovations we did, is showing as a charge off, with a balance of 40k still.  The agreement (that I have in writing from the CU) says they will release the loan and report the balance as $0, at closing, after I paid them close to $10,000 in cash.  (Pay for removal- the verbage of the document says clearly that I will be realized of my obligation. ) 

I have for months, called, sent email GW letters and I have sent certified letters to the people I was involved with in regards gaining approval for the closing of the home, paying the money owed etc.  I have heard nothing in response to my efforts and nothing has been changed on my credit report.  

What, if anything, can I do now.  I really want to get this corrected, so I can begin to work on attaining a loan (if possible) to buy a new home in my new state.  

This is the only (granted it is major) negative on my credit report.  I have no other debt collections etc. 

Thank you so much for your assistance.  I am at my wits end! 

Shines4u

Re: Credit Union Equity Loan - Charge Off help needed

Hi again,

Perhaps, I should list what I believe my next step should be and you can tell me your thoughts. 

Do I now send my dispute to the Credit Unions?  With my proof of payment, HUD documents and the Satisfaction of Mortgage letter?  I was hoping for a GW adjustment from the credit union.  Or do I keep pursuing the credit union GW adjustment option?  I realize that still showing I settled less than owed on my credit reports isn't ideal.  But, I do want the outstanding 40,000 to be taken off. 

Thanks again for your help!

Shogun

Hello and welcome to the forums.  So from what I'm understanding, you paid the $10,000 as a settlement?  Does it now show $40,000 owed or does it show it as charged off?

Starting Score: 504

July 2013 score: EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!
Shines4u

[ Edited ]

It shows:

$40,000 as past due (balance) and yes, it shows pay status as "charge off"  

Where as my mortgage shows, a zero balance and settled for less than full balance.

I was under the impression the credit union would report the same way.  I was very careful when crafting my short sale that  I wanted to be realized of liability of the debt so I essentially had them draw up the Satisfaction of Mortgage stating that I would be released of my obligation under our agreement for the payout at the closing of the home.

Thoughts?  

Shogun

If you have documentation that the loan is satisfied, perhaps a dispute is in order with the CRAs.

Shines4u

So, wanted to reply and see if anyone had more help for me. 

I did as Shogun said and disputed everything through the CRA's.  Two came back saying they corrected the reporting and Experian said it couldn't correct it.  

Do I try again with Experian, or where do I go from here? 

Thank you so much for your time! 

Shogun

You have an agreement in writing from the OC that this would be settled/paid and $0 owed.  I would start with the OC, or rather I would probably have my attorney write to the OC that they have failed to follow their agreement.

myFICO is the consumer division of FICO. Since its introduction 20 years ago, the FICO® Score has become a global standard for measuring credit risk in the banking, mortgage, credit card, auto and retail industries. 90 of the top 100 largest U.S. financial institutions use the FICO Score to make consumer credit decisions.

>> About myFICO
FICO Score - The Score that matters
Click to Verify - This site chose VeriSign SSL for secure e-commerce and confidential communications.
Fair Isaac Corporation is a BBB Accredited Financial Service in San Rafael, CA
FOLLOW US Social Media Facebook Twitter Pinterest Google+